Are you Happy doing WSR?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Are you Happy doing WSR?

Post by screenman »

Here is my thought on gas station locations, nobody at least that I know of likes putting gas in, this means they just want to get out of that station as quick as possible as nobody like prolonging a bad experience, this is why I feel they make a poor location. All that waiting around is expensive on your time.

Having the correct mix of customers makes this trade an easy place to work.
cracksinlagos
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by cracksinlagos »

The moment I started my windshield repair business 3 years ago (2009), and saw the returns, I asked my self why i didn't get into this business six years ago. My account balance grew on a daily basis and I thanked God for the inspiration, ideas and the DELTA KITS connection that changed my life for good. There are challenges though, just like in every business but I am happy doing WSR because it has given me the opportunity to meet people I never thought I could talk or get close to, from sports and on air personalities to entertainment pros and even top executives and more. I have recently started windshield replacements and I am planning to include a car wash to my WSR as business as a marketing strategy. Do not look down on WSR because the opportunities are mind blowing if only you can see it chasing you. I am based in Lagos Nigeria.
autosolutions1

Post by autosolutions1 »

screenman wrote:Here is my thought on gas station locations, nobody at least that I know of likes putting gas in, this means they just want to get out of that station as quick as possible as nobody like prolonging a bad experience, this is why I feel they make a poor location. All that waiting around is expensive on your time.

Having the correct mix of customers makes this trade an easy place to work.

The last two years I've focused nearly completely on the impulse sale at the pumps and car washes but it is wearing me out. I need to develope better ways to attract business or I'm going to have to find a new trade
SGT

Post by SGT »

HMMMM!!!! Happy doing WSR...SOMETIMES and overall YES. What is happiness? Well I imagine that will vary from person to person but in general I think happiness is cyclic. As with anything in life there is good times, bad times and slumps etc... It is easy to get through the good times but it is how we get through the bad times that that put us back on happy times or feelings of being content.

For me I have been very blessed as windshield repair has been quite rewarding on many levels. As a part time tech with a career, family and very limited time, WSR is so flexible I could make it fit in my life. That does not mean I am happy all the time with myself and WSR. As life changes and time deminishes it has become increasinly harder to feel the reward for my efforts. There are times I want to close up shop, there are times i want to reinvent the wheel and times just go through the motions. Happy or not, I have worked to hard to get where I am and WSR will always be part of my life on some level as it is a second trade to fall on to provide for my family if needed.
Safe Glass Technologies

2012 WRO Gold
2009 WRO Gold
2009 WSRPOTY
2008 WRO Silver
candyman

Post by candyman »

Good afternoon. I read the comments and I agree with many that posted. I mostly agree with SGT. I do this as a sideline. It would be very easy to convert this to a full time business should I need to. Iam not statisfied with the volume I now have, but thats my fault. If you take your eye off the things that generated you income and get caught in the repair phase you will see a decline in business. Positive things are done on a regular basis or daily. You are always feeding the system that you create. New generated customers, lead to referrals and repeat business. If you only do street or car wash type leads, you are at the mercy of your % (percent) average. For some this is all that they want. Its a numbers game for them. I prefer a mix and I normally take the time to work this mix. TPA Insurance referrals, Insurance generated referrals for both covered and non-covered clients, area canvass such as; car lots, detail shops, inspection stations, dealers, rental companies, sm & lg fleets, HS or College students, elderly centers and repeat. This will give you a mix that will ensure you have a steady source. Too often as I have done, you get caught in the cycle. Forget or decrease your work generation and fall prey to repairs or other activities. Can you make a living doing this. Yes! Is it hard. Yes! It takes a self starter. You have to know your product. Know your craft. Know your competition. Set goals and follow through with a workable action plan. I enjoy doing the WSR & HLR. I also mentally and phsically get bogged down at times when I am doing my 3rd HLR or 4th WSR and have driven 100 or more miles that day and have 2 more jobs to do an you are bone tired. I also go a few days and dont have any jobs. You fine that happens no matter how well you plan. The economy, weather, time of season all have an impact on this business. Like all self employed careers, you invest your time, sweat and tears. Some do it and never make a profit. Others make a comfortable living. They both do it because they take pride or feel a sense of satisfaction of owning their own business. I hope this shines a little more light on your question and provide answers you are searching for. Merry Christmas.
screenman

Post by screenman »

In 1988 when I started this business like many other over here we were doing about £1,000 per week ( you can work the dollars) it is still as good fun nowadays for those that have the drive and determination. Is that full time income I would say yes, is it a full time job sometimes yes and sometime no, totally dependent on your customer base. I have one friend who has a 400 lorry fleet to service which he does on a Sunday morning he always repairs 10+ screens per week at £40 a time, does not leave a lot more to do during the week to make the bucks up. I know that I will repair 5 windscreens tomorrow at £45 per time, it is after all December which is when quality fleet customers come into play the most.

I set my yearly standard of living by what I earn in December so I want a good one, by doing this I make sure that next December I have some increase in the bank balance. Many guys I know set the income by their best month, bad idea.
Sylvi

Post by Sylvi »

I hope members do not mind reading this long post. It is the success of a WSR service with USA TECHNOLOGY, in a third world Tropical country +12 hours time difference from USA. My country Sri Lanka is an island nation located in the Indian Ocean, just off the southeastern coast of India. east to west, with a total land area of about 25,300 square miles. With about 2 million vehicle in all including motor cycles.

Yes. I was very successful in this WSR. I being the first qualified WSR in my country. Windshield repairing and polishing Automobile after market service. Pioneer to start Windshield repair in Sri lanka 1992 at the age of 49 years, about 20 years ago, after training in USA.
About four others followed my WSR business in Sri lanka. They did not come up to my standard in final result of repairs.

I was a Technician from my teen age days working in my late father's work shop, not related to Windshield glasses, but automobile and industrial electrical repairs. My late father send me to UK in 1960 for further training in the same trade I was out of the country for four years. This made me a very good talented person who used to do a job, to the satisfaction of the customer. After his demise I took over the Electrical maintenance business in year 1965.

All who started to compete with me is now out of WSR business. Fist and foremost thing was This is a new introduction to Sri Lanka. I did alone for almost for 15 years with one unskilled helper. Started mobile service also in three months from the starting of business. This WSR business growth was unpredicted. Even I was surprised, new investors coming to my work shop had found I used to do all repair work is over in the morning afternoons were kept to do polishing.
of said glasses Work was coming in one after the other. I did not count the repairs I may have done more than 20000 repairs alone in all total.

When I reached 65 years of age, I got a very talented young person who was not at all in this line of technical. He came to me to build buildings because our city planers wanted new buildings and I had to comply for the request. An very large 8000 square feet 3 story Commercial building planed. He was as a technical assistant for that project on my land, Which I inherited from my ancestors in capital city of Sri lanka. Where my late father and myself was in business. Now I am just managing every thing at 69+ years of age. Living comfortably having all new buildings with Windshield repair business no one to compete with me for last 10 years. We two are recognized in this Windshield repair business by all government security vehicles and privater sector high end Automobile importers as the leader in Windshield repair business.

After completing the building project I gave my entire technology tools and all goodwill of my business what I have acquired for past few decades including Electrical repair and Windshield repair business. Because I have not found a correct replacement for many years, after my demise to carry on this business.
He picked the work in few months today he has done 5622 repairs with a another helper do only the Windshield repair business.Electrical only to serve few old customers. One other electrician and a helper for electrical repairs. Which will be closed very soon. We both have decided to only continue with Windshield repair business.Because the profits on WSR business is very good. We still do under 50.00 US Dollars a repair two for 65.00 US Dollars. Equivalent to Sri lankan Rupees. Windshield polishing depending the time taken for the job minimum is 100.00 US Dollars.

All WSR knows the repair cost and the profit.

Sylvi.
oregonsandrew

Post by oregonsandrew »

Going to start my own WSR business here next week. I am starting at a cold and wet time in my part of the country and wondered if anyone has any words of wisdom for me. I have been in sales for 5+years and have no problem 'self-starting'. I got into the business actually by talking to someone that was repairing my WS last year. He has been a good source of wisdom but has recently gone awol so im happy I found this forum to glean some knowledge and insight from. Im guessing its a tougher time of year to start but curious what you all think? My contact told me he does it year round so im sure if I can be successful now it should be better in the summer. Any thoughts? Thank you for your time!
blemon56

Post by blemon56 »

I've been doing WSR for 3 years now. I'm a full time RV'er and travel around the country. I find my customers in the RV parks... usually motorhomes, pickup trucks, and tow behind vehicles. As I'm always moving, I don't have any commercial accounts. I sometimes go weeks without a repair, then do 4 or 5 in a day. Last year I added HLR to my services. That generates a bit more work. I do WSR to make a few extra bucks... going out to dinner money... and to keep my hands busy. If I needed to survive on WSR income, I would need to change my lifestyle... travel less, look for commercial accounts, and maybe set up in a supermarket parking lot. For now... I'm happy with my small but captive audience.
ChipMech
WCR & HLR
Ghostteck

Post by Ghostteck »

I 'm on the same boat, I'm just going to be starting in 2 weeks and I'm hoping everything goes well, my friend is in the paint repair business and he noticed there was noone for WSR so I am offering my time to learn and start this up with him. I hope it goes well. This forum has been an amazing wealth of information.