Altering a HL lens

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
Old Blue 66
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Altering a HL lens

Post by Old Blue 66 »

The old style lens that has what I think are plastic dimples that stick out for HL aiming are a real pain in the arse. What happens if you were to grind them off for HL restoration?

You still see them on 97-2003 Grand Prix, Ford Rangers......What if I just clipped them off? Does anyone else do that?
Paul Weinstein
t4k
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Altering a HL lens

Post by t4k »

They are used to align the headlights. I personally would not remove them. The easiest solution is to work on newer cars. :lol:
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

Everyone's a comedian.

The main reason I asked is because my company is beginning a commercial division. Fleet semi trucks (even 2005 models) have these tabs. I worked on a 2005 Sterling single cab today and was reminded how they rip apart sanding discs and polishing pads.
Paul Weinstein
t4k

Post by t4k »

They are alignment pins...do not remove!!!
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

t4k wrote:They are alignment pins...do not remove!!!
Can you explain why?
Paul Weinstein
t4k

Post by t4k »

Old Blue 66 wrote:
t4k wrote:They are alignment pins...do not remove!!!
Can you explain why?
The are used for an optical aimer had three rods that had a concave end on them that protruded forward of the aminer. In the center was a large suction cup, and a lever to move the suction cup forward and back. You place the rods on the tips then you put the cup on the lens, and pulled the lever back till it locked the tool to the lens. There was a level in the unit for up and down of each bulb, in addition, there was a mirror arrangement that you looked through to see if the bulbs were aligned properly in the horizontal axis. Most cars now no longer have those tips, and must use an optical device for aiming.
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

But on these older units, are they still doing that? The truck I worked on yesterday had headlights aiming in two different directions. There's no way this guy cared about that. Not my area obviously, but I would imagine that most big rigs have similar issues because they get so beat up in the front.
Paul Weinstein
glassdoctor

Post by glassdoctor »

People don't take their car into a shop for regular headlight aiming adjustments. Good grief.... if it's easier to shave the nubs, then do it. Majority of cars do NOT have them, and you can also "align" the lights by parking in front of a wall with the lights on, with or without nubs on the lens. I know one guy that says he uses a hot knife to cut them off. I don't cut them off myself... just learn to work with it. Spray coating process eliminates most of the headaches with this type of lens, so that's an option to consider for these jobs.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

You can't be serious!

Some of the alignment tabs are hollow and if you shave them off you will leave a hole in the lens. Removing them is damaging the lens, not restoring it. When someone works on my vehicle I expect them to do what is best for me, not easiest for them, and if they cut the alignment tabs off my headlights they would be buying me new headlights. I believe in treating others as I wish to be treated so I would never intentionally remove an alignment tab, and if I did by accident, I would tell the customer and purchase them a new headlight without being asked.

Are we professionals or just backyard hacks out for a fast buck? Your reputation is everything in this business or any other!
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

Brent Deines wrote:You can't be serious!

Some of the alignment tabs are hollow and if you shave them off you will leave a hole in the lens.
Removing them is damaging the lens, not restoring it. When someone works on my vehicle I expect them to do what is best for me, not easiest for them, and if they cut the alignment tabs off my headlights they would be buying me new headlights. I believe in treating others as I wish to be treated so I would never intentionally remove an alignment tab, and if I did by accident, I would tell the customer and purchase them a new headlight without being asked.

Are we professionals or just backyard hacks out for a fast buck? Your reputation is everything in this business or any other!
Great info. I had no idea. This is the reason I posted the question.
Paul Weinstein