w/s replacement training

Discuss all aspects of windshield replacement, including techniques, billing, etc.
cdirks
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

w/s replacement training

Post by cdirks »

Hello,

I get asked frequently if I replace windshields. I hadn't planned on it at least for awhile til I get my ws repair and HLR off the ground. I still don't plan on doing it for quite a while yet but I am looking to see what it takes. I don't want to try to do it without any training. I found Horizon Auto Glass Inc. out of Sacramento CA that offers comprehensive training for replacement of laminated, tempered, and flat glass. It is a 10 day training that covers glass replacement of automotive and heavy equipment. They also teach you the office part of it too. Your training is hands on and one on one. Cost of just the training class is $3000 and you do get some tools too. I am just in the research phase at this point and won't do it for awhile. I don't mind spending money on good solid training as to me that is an investment that pays dividends later. I just don't want to part with hard earned money only to be scammed. If anyone has time just look up Horizon Auto Glass Inc. on Google and let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Chad
Glasseye
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: w/s replacement training

Post by Glasseye »

I would certainly not dissuade you from entering the replacement service, it can be a lucrative earner but I would advise you strongly to do a cost/benefit analysis compared to your 2 repair businesses you already operate. Having no knowledge of their 10 day training course I cannot comment on its' effectiveness but it would, at its' best, only provide a basic introduction into the replacement business.
cdirks

Post by cdirks »

Glasseye,

Thanks for your response. I have wondered about this as well. I talked to the guy that offers this training. He says that in the first hour of class I will get my hands dirty, get scraped up, and be sweating. He says he will work my butt off as that is the only way to learn. Class starts at 8 am and ends around 1 pm with some days being longer. You are trainded one on one. At the end of the training you have a car or two in his shop and he goes and watches TV and you are on your own. He also teaches replacement of heavy equipment glass. One of the guys that wrote in on his Facebook page said the the guy geared his time teaching him more on agriculture glass replacement as the student came from an agriculture community. If I do get into replacement it will not be until next year. I am only in the research phase at the moment. Any other advice is welcomed as well. :D

Chad
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Brent Deines »

I had a glass shop for years and didn't let a new employee install a windshield unsupervised for at least a couple of months. I also checked every installation done by one of my employees for at least a year before turning them completely loose. I know that is very unusual in the glass industry these days but it's your reputation and your customer's safety on the line with every install. A lot of hacks out there that have no business installing glass.

I think adding installation is a great idea and getting some training will at least help you know what to look for but I recommend hiring a seasoned installer with a good reputation and multiple references to help you with your installations until you are confident that you can handle anything that comes your way. I sure don't want to put my family at risk because the installer doesn't understand the effects of temperature and humidity on urethane cure times or how the oils from your fingertip can cause an adhesive failure. Anyone can put in a windshield but in my experience very few do it right!

Auto glass replacement can be rewarding an enjoyable, just make sure you do it correctly.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
benswindshieldrepair

Post by benswindshieldrepair »

I will personally vouch for Mike Caudill at Horizon Glass. I took his class about a year ago. Mike runs a great school and you get TRUE one on one training. He's been doing it a long time and has a lot to offer. The best thing about it is that I can call him at the drop of a hat and he always answers his phone and offers his advice if I have a question about a moulding or trim piece that I'm unfamiliar with. I started out as WSR only and it was a great business but I got so many calls for replacements that I finally took the plunge. It was a very good decision. My repair sales are even WAY up because of this move. If you have the ability, go to Sacramento to Mike's school. You won't regret it. He's a busy man and will work your butt off. If you have any more questions about his school feel free to contact me.