Are there any headlight types you should not be restored?

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
Old Blue 66
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Are there any headlight types you should not be restored

Post by Old Blue 66 »

WSR...HA!!! I was thinking headlights.
Paul Weinstein
sgearhart

Post by sgearhart »

I meant HR for Headlight Restoration, but I have seen WSR so much, that is all that stuck in my mind. I sure that won't be the only mistake I make in my life HA :lol:
pommy

Post by pommy »

t4k wrote:
pommy wrote:
t4k hit the nail on the head - what is the stripper?
Thanks Pommy!!! ;)
Ray - I can't sleep!

;)
If the job doesn't mean more than the pay, it will never pay more.
candyman

Post by candyman »

I rarely get headlights that are not completely fogged over/yellow. I no longer give any warranties. I switch between the Infiniti 4.1 and chem base UV. The chem usually will cover better on old lenses that are pitted. I've had a few lenses during the past few years that only required the prep spray and polish with the 3000 pad. I havent used alcohol. The reason is I used some on my customized Van back in the 90's and it cloudied my polycarbonate guage cover. cleaners like 409 and mr. green will do the same. It would be my luck to use it on a vehicle and that happen. That guage cover costed over $100 plus labor. I see all sorts of methods on the forum discussed and on youtube. Some dealers want the cheapest method, just to get the vehicle off the lot. I also know customers that purchased used BMW's, volvos and jeep Cherokees that had quick fixes and were not happy with the dealer. Most of the used vehicles are purchased as is. When I do a vehicle for a dealer, normally the buyer is standing there looking at the process. If that headlight fails within the first year they will look to me not the dealer. They see my name and business doing the work. My work is my reputation. I dont take short cuts so the dealer can increase his profit at my expense. Someone may get away with it in a large city, but not a small town. I see the paint shops at some large dealerships buffing the lens then spraying with clearcoat. I guess if that work for them, then more power to them. I will stick to the delta method and products untill I see something that blows me away.
t4k
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by t4k »

pommy wrote:
t4k wrote:
pommy wrote:
t4k hit the nail on the head - what is the stripper?
Thanks Pommy!!! ;)
Ray - I can't sleep!

;)
Don't lose any sleep. Ray6 has been here before and he can't tell any of his secrets. :shock:
pommy

Post by pommy »

It's ok t4k - I've found a new method that is even quicker.

I have a special cloth that you put over the whole headlight (making sure its fully covered).

You simply tap it once or twice with the black and white wand and say the magic words.

The headlight will be like brand new, every time.

I had my magician conjure up the magic words - I use them daily, but I can't tell you what they are.

TIP - if you place the car in the shade, the customer won't be able to see until the next day ;)
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

pommy wrote:It's ok t4k - I've found a new method that is even quicker.

I have a special cloth that you put over the whole headlight (making sure its fully covered).

You simply tap it once or twice with the black and white wand and say the magic words.

I had my magician conjure up the magic words - I use them daily, but I can't tell you what they are.

TIP - if you place the car in the shade, the customer won't be able to see until the next day ;)
That's how I do all my HL's!!
Paul Weinstein
ray6

Post by ray6 »

candyman wrote:I rarely get headlights that are not completely fogged over/yellow. I no longer give any warranties. I switch between the Infiniti 4.1 and chem base UV. The chem usually will cover better on old lenses that are pitted. I've had a few lenses during the past few years that only required the prep spray and polish with the 3000 pad. I havent used alcohol. The reason is I used some on my customized Van back in the 90's and it cloudied my polycarbonate guage cover. cleaners like 409 and mr. green will do the same. It would be my luck to use it on a vehicle and that happen. That guage cover costed over $100 plus labor. I see all sorts of methods on the forum discussed and on youtube. Some dealers want the cheapest method, just to get the vehicle off the lot. I also know customers that purchased used BMW's, volvos and jeep Cherokees that had quick fixes and were not happy with the dealer. Most of the used vehicles are purchased as is. When I do a vehicle for a dealer, normally the buyer is standing there looking at the process. If that headlight fails within the first year they will look to me not the dealer. They see my name and business doing the work. My work is my reputation. I dont take short cuts so the dealer can increase his profit at my expense. Someone may get away with it in a large city, but not a small town. I see the paint shops at some large dealerships buffing the lens then spraying with clearcoat. I guess if that work for them, then more power to them. I will stick to the delta method and products untill I see something that blows me away.
Polycarbonate itself is not affected by alcohol, but your gauge cover was probably made of some other compound.

We do use alcohol on every restore as a cleaning step before applying the protective coating. It's purpose is to clean any remaining crud, but also pick up any remaining moisture (the bane of polyurethane coatings).
ray6
t4k

Post by t4k »

pommy wrote:It's ok t4k - I've found a new method that is even quicker.

WOW :o That sounds like true magic!! I understand if you can't give out your alleged secrets .
pommy

Post by pommy »

@ Ray...

With the greatest respect - Are you avoiding a direct answer to t4K's and also my question?

"What can you tell us about the stripper? Can we buy it? Make it? What's the deal?"

I've emailed your various email addresses as requested (3 so far) but you don't send anything back.

But, through all my research of your many internet posts on sites like eBay, car forums, headlight forums and other auto-related forums - you never elaborate.

You never offer help... just a "tease"....?

Cheers,

Pommy.

UPDATE:

Ahhh - I've found that you are here to make sales Ray - what a shame :(

I was a bit naive to think this forum was full of good people wanting to share things, you know, to help a fellow person out?

That's why I take the time, to share better ways and learn from others.

I saw your website, and your "Biz Ops!" as you call them - I'm a bit pi$$ed I wasted so much time - you should have said you had no intentions of SHARING, only SELLING - instead you get me to email you pointlessly? Why?

Again, with the greatest respect - I think you are a sales troll. A little bit of advice, mixed with a bit of intrigue...mention the "wonder product" get them interested, email off site - get a sale.

It's not clever marketing mate - if you can't afford to advertise - don't ruin a good forum with this type of cr@p.

Annoyed,

Pommy