My Proper Introduction

The Windshield Repair Forum water cooler for topics that do not belong in another forum. Feel free to put your feet up, relax, and get to know each other!
jhickman1
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

My Proper Introduction

Post by jhickman1 »

Hey guys, Im new to the forum and new to the WSR industry as well. I have been advised by other members that it would be more polite to introduce myself. So break out your reading glasses....
My name is Justin Hickman. I was born in Charleston, SC and now live near Fayetteville, NC. When I was 16 I began to work part-time at a local hardware store. The kind that sells everything from ice cream to shingles, plumbing to electrical, hunting to housewares, and nails and seeds are weighed by hand. One of our biggest sellers from the store was our Stihl power equipment. I really enjoyed messing with the Stihl stuff. After a year and a half at the store, my manager put me over the Stihl department. This didnt necessarily give me any seniority over employees but it gave me a large responsibility. I would sometimes place orders in the tens of thousands of dollars. As a teenager that was a BIG deal. My first year managing the "Stihl Stuff" I changed our advertising, inventory, displays, repair work, and even the way that we handled warranty work so it would all benefit the customer as well as the store. Alot of these changes cost big money but my manager new I could handle it and see it through. Fortunately, it all payed off!! In that first year we saw Stihl sales alone go from mid-20s to over 50 thousand dollars! The next year, another 20 thousand!
During all of this I began to volunteer at a local fire department. I loved it and decided that I wanted to make a career of it. After some time at the age of 20, I was hired at the Fayetteville Fire Department. Leaving the hardware store was hard but I new it was necessary t find an actual career and move on with life. I had four months of rigorous training and then was placed on shift. I really loved it! I like working 24 hour shifts, and I like doing the job. I married the girl I had been dating for about four years. We have a great marriage and I dont know where I would be without her right beside me.
Firefighting is great but around here it isnt the best paying job. Fortunately, the shift work allows alot of time for a second job. I started working with another guy that got hired at the FFD the same time I did. He had a large landscaping business. After six months with him, he put me in charge of a crew and some commercial accounts, mostly apartment complexes that were out of state. I had alot of long hours and hard work but I made some good friendships. I knew that I wanted to run my own business and not be dependent on a part-time job.
After looking at many different business opportunities, I began to look at WSR. I came across Delta Kits website and knew that was what I was going to do. I got some help and alot of advise from some extended family I have in Georgia that runs a well established, family owned and operated, windshield repair and replacement business. I am now 24 years old and decided that at the start of 2012 I would quit my landscaping job and start my WSR business. I got a double bridge Delta Kits kit and went to work practicing on two wrecked jeeps in my dads back yard. I havent got to the part of my business where I make money but I have been taking it one step at a time and laying the ground work without rushing into things. I already have several family and friends that need WSR work done. So this week or next will start the money coming in phase...hopefully.
I know this is not a get rich quick scheme. I know it requires hard work and some business sense. I also know that I have what it takes to make this a successful business. I realize that I will make mistakes and I will need help. So far Korey, Brent, and all of yall on this forum have been a HUGE help with anything I need. Thanks in advance for all the advice yall will provide -J Hickman, Liberty Auto Glass
J. Hickman
Liberty Auto Glass
Fayetteville, NC
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: My Proper Introduction

Post by screenman »

Many thanks for taking the time to do a great intro, you will find due to the effort you have made others will do the same to help when they can.
Kgobin

Post by Kgobin »

I know we have spoken on the phone and emailed several times but welcome to the forum! There is a wealth of information here and if you ever need anything please don't hesitate to contact me.
Korey Gobin
Delta Kits, Inc.
Frank EU
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Frank EU »

Wow.
Properly done Justin.
Welcome to the forum again.
candyman

Post by candyman »

Good morning! I read your info above. You are in a great location to do WSR & HLR. Your market is constantly rotating due to the military. I wish I lived closer. Iam retired from the Army & USMC. I live north of you off US 85 near the Va border. You can make money, but you need to work your market all the time. Face-to- Face and referals will be your bread and butter. If you could find a location near Fort Bragg entry gates, you could generate income quickly. Offer both WSR & HLR. They are like a pair of gloves. When one isn't generating income the other will. Offer safety awareness at local schools or Hospitals, Look for Any size fleets in your area that dont have a repair person. Word of mouth will drive business to you , if you are good. You have a higher income bracket for that area with the military. You have a few other Glass repair techs in your area and a few major companies. Having said that, you still have a big market to genrate income. The early bird catches the worm. Dont waste your money on yellow pages or advertizing. Concentrate on having a web site. If you dont know how, go to vistaprints.com for step by step instructions for less than $18 per month. Dont fall into the Google trap or Facebook unless you know what you are doing or you will pay a hughe monthly fee. Everytime someone clicks on your business you get charged wheather they buy or not. They now offer a set limit amount each month. Some may only spend $50 while others may go higher. Once that limit is reached they stop it. Keep your business model simple and you will make money. Dont be afraid to knock on business doors. The worst thing that could happen is that they say NO. When one door is closed another may open. Dont give your service away either. You offer a good service at a fair price, so take pride in your new business. Wear a uniform or have a logo on your shirt. Look professional ! welcome. Iam still a newbie with almost 3 years experience. Have a good day. : )
jhickman1

Post by jhickman1 »

Thanks candyman.
J. Hickman
Liberty Auto Glass
Fayetteville, NC
Windshield911

Post by Windshield911 »

welcome abroad from another firefighter. There is lots of us on this forum.haha
jhickman1

Post by jhickman1 »

Windshield911 wrote:welcome abroad from another firefighter. There is lots of us on this forum.haha
Yeah ive kinda been noticin that lol.... Thanks
J. Hickman
Liberty Auto Glass
Fayetteville, NC