Paying it Forward

The Windshield Repair Forum water cooler for topics that do not belong in another forum. Feel free to put your feet up, relax, and get to know each other!
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Paying it Forward

Post by Brent Deines »

I've been reading about people buying coffee for the person in line behind them and others who are paying off lay away debt for strangers at department stores.

Have any of you done something like this for anyone or had someone do it for you? Have you heard any stories that really touched your heart?

To me this is the true spirit of Christmas so please share your stories.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
loadie
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Paying it Forward

Post by loadie »

It's happens to me all the time!

I am a Police Officer in my real life, people always say thank you at Tim Hortons or any restaurant we eat at by paying for our coffee or meal for us. I have been known to do the same thing, if I see someone who could use the help I will pay to feed them! Makes you feel good, especially if you know they are struggling!
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

Well I really had hoped for a bit more Christmas spirit here. Oh well, thanks for your reply loadie, and thank you for your service. I have a great deal of respect for those who work in law enforcement as well as those who serve in our military. Those are seemingly thankless jobs but very necessary and I for one appreciate the sacrifices you make very much. I'm glad to hear that others recognize your contributions once in awhile as well.

I remember when I was a kid my parents used to buy clothing for kids I went to school with that came from very poor families. Those families never knew where the cloths came from but were always very happy to receive them. It wasn't necessarily a Christmas thing; they just tried to help out whenever they saw a need. That's something that really had an impact on my life so my wife and I have tried to do the same and have gotten our kids involved as well. There's nothing more gratifying than giving out of love with no expectation of personal return.

Merry Christmas!
Dr.Chipster

Post by Dr.Chipster »

{Removed at the request of author}
Last edited by Brent Deines on December 29th, 2011, 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed at the request of the author.
bill lambeth

Post by bill lambeth »

Dr I am sure you are getting jewels in your crown.
DryStar

Post by DryStar »

Brent.

I was taught early in life from my father and religion (to take care of "thy" neighbor) 50 years and going...that hasn't changed. I love helping out people in my area (that require help or just can't afford it ) ...and it's never been a Christmas thing. Just something that everybody should do.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

Dr.Chipster wrote:Removed at the request of the author.
I understand completely. I was hoping more for stories about people doing something good for a forum member that inspired them to "pay it forward", or stories about someone doing good things for others that might be an inspiration to all of us. I'm with you, for me the glory goes to God in all cases, but whether people share my faith or not, the practice will still have a very positive effect on their lives, but I feel the more stories we hear about others doing good things with no desire for recognition, the more the idea will catch on.

Last week I heard that someone had dropped $5000 into each of several Salvation Army buckets around town. That is a very generous and completely anonymous gesture of love. Of course the IRS is desperately trying to find out where that money came from but that is another story.

At local drive up coffee shops people have been paying for several cars behind them and then driving away, not looking for any type of credit what so ever. I've talked to people who work in those places and they say that the recipient of the free coffee often refuses it, but instead does the same thing for the car behind them.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
DryStar

Post by DryStar »

Well in Detroit yesterday, person lost his wallet (with $5,600 in cash to pay his taxes to avoid forecloser) Anonymous person returned it. Is that what kind of story your looking for?
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

That's a good one! I had several people email me some great stories that they did not want to post to the forum for one reason or another. It's good to know the practice is active and growing even if it does not draw much interest here on the windshield repair forum.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
ghost rider

Post by ghost rider »

Brent,

I would not be too concerned about the response you got here on the forum. There is plenty of "Christmas spirit" out there. Have you noticed that you never hear the name of the person giving the gift? I am sure there are plenty of people receiving the gift that don't say anything. To me "Paying it Forward" is very personal and anonymous for both the giver and receiver and should stay that way. That is the true gift.

Merry Christmas