Customer sketchy when paying with credit card w/ Mobile APP

This forum is dedicated to sales, marketing, insurance, and other business development issues. Since this is a Windshield Repair sub forum, please continue to use the other forums on this board to discuss non-windshield repair related issues of any nature.
DavidS

Re: Customer sketchy when paying with credit card w/ Mobile

Post by DavidS »

I have ran a business, and I have had a credit card reader the size of a small cell phone, swipe, press send, and presto...
it is easier said then done trying to deprive a customers credit card from them unless you have done business with
them in the past, or they know you very well...after all this fraud stuff that you keep seeing on the news, a client
is very reluctant to give credit cards to people they have never met, and to use in some hand-held device...(the first
thing they are concerned; Is this guy ripping me off with his electronic device) I have had several people look at
my fancy device and tell me; I am not giving you my credit card, by nature, people are taking guard over their credit cards....
can you say for a fact that your financial info is safe when you buy online? Your client is thinking the same thing
before giving you his credit card (if he does), he is wondering if your reader is safe, or/are you scamming him...
and clients have power (dispute) when it comes to credit cards, and they are still reluctant...they are not worried
about the dispute itself, they are more worried did you actually steal more, or even their idenity...unless your
client knows you one-one, then they are more likely to give you their insurance info over a credit card....

but if there are no constant monthly fees, then the wait maybe acceptable (if people do not know you)
Chips_Away_Windshield_Repair
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Chips_Away_Windshield_Repair »

Just my own expierance, take with a grain of salt.
I have never bothered with credit cards and have never lost a job because of it. I tell my customers check ( and I do not use a check service), cash, or "if you care too we will bill your insurance for you which normally only takes a few minutes for a dispatch number".
Being truly blessed I have not in ten years had a bad check except one the lady had to close her account when she lost her purse, she called me and explained with another in the mail right away.
You may think I'm crazy and living on the edge but I have extended credit many times and never been beaten out of payment, and this is true from folks from around the country when we travel to RV rallies and campgrounds. Maybe several children in the back seats, a credit card, one check and $50.00 in cash to get them home in two or three days. Always a check and thank you note follows.
Like I say, take this info with a grain of salt.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Chips_Away_Windshield_Repair wrote:Just my own expierance, take with a grain of salt.
I have never bothered with credit cards and have never lost a job because of it. I tell my customers check ( and I do not use a check service), cash, or "if you care too we will bill your insurance for you which normally only takes a few minutes for a dispatch number".
Being truly blessed I have not in ten years had a bad check except one the lady had to close her account when she lost her purse, she called me and explained with another in the mail right away.
You may think I'm crazy and living on the edge but I have extended credit many times and never been beaten out of payment, and this is true from folks from around the country when we travel to RV rallies and campgrounds. Maybe several children in the back seats, a credit card, one check and $50.00 in cash to get them home in two or three days. Always a check and thank you note follows.
Like I say, take this info with a grain of salt.
Then you have been blessed...

I have had roughly 10 bounced checks over a 2 year period...

and not one of those bouncers offered to make good...

It took almost took 6 months to finally get a forced repayment
as I had to filed the bounced check with the state, and that
was for a $350 check. to be honest, if you get a bounce, its
just not worth it to go after unless it is a larger sum, then there
is still risk of not getting anything from your efforts....

I will never-ever accept checks again...

when you run a business, you have to run a business, not a risk/charity....

If this type of credit card method works with the iPhone/Square, then
it would be very acceptable if there are no monthly fees, as those
monthly fees can hurt if your business is trying to start up...

at this point, it can only be an advantage to tell the customer that
I do accept Credit Card/Cash/Insurance, etc...as it gives the customer
a decent choice in the event that they do not use their insurance...
but again, the draw-back on this is the client trusting you enough
by giving you their credit card that you are actually swiping through
a skimmer, and can be if used by the bad guys...

but the option of taking credit cards can be there, none-the-less.
Eco Steam

Post by Eco Steam »

I offer to most of my Customers ALL payment methods, I do this because I want to keep them as a customer and if I limit my payment options to something specific, then that DOES stop some potential customers from using my services.

In the past I have lost potential Customers because I didn't offer American Express, I do now!

I take checks as well from customers at their home or work, but it has to be local and I get DL # and Phone number, I've only had 1 bad check and it was taken care of because the customer forgot to deposit money into their account, they paid all fees associated with the transaction, and they're still customers of mine till this day.

I do not accept checks when I setup at a gas station or any other random spot, but I do accept everything else.

Ultimately, cash is best, but in my professional opinion, the more options I offer, the more business I will get, it's been proven in my line of work way too many times.

Also, there are restaurants here in Austin that only take cash, but have an ATM inside, when my wife and I go to places like this, we go elsewhere (unless we have the cash), and usually we never return unless it's really good food :-)

I would say this is what the breakdown is for my business (roughly):

35% Cash
25% Checks
20% CC's
20% Insurance

Also, if you offer a Professional service and you arrive with a professional appearance, your Customer shouldn't have an issue with what type of payments you accept.

I've never had a customer tell me they would rather pay me by check or cash because they think I'm gonna steal their info and go shopping or something, never!

So, to each their own.

ATX
Toby 1 kenobi
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Customer sketchy when paying with credit card w/ Mobile APP

Post by Toby 1 kenobi »

Do we have a UK version of this square thingy??? Any idea of costs or what I should consider reasonable folks?
screenman

Post by screenman »

I am very busy with repairs, I have card machine in my office and should the need arise which it never has I would take the card details and run them through when I got back.

That said I do not service one off customers as they are in my opinion more expensive than the customers I prefer.
Tuck&Roll

Post by Tuck&Roll »

This is the reason why "cash is king", always has and will. I don't offer that method cause I have a big enough time just trying to turn the phone on. Checks are bad enough! If you or they are really that worried about it you could just do Paypal and the worry is over. TIP. If you do do Paypal, have them send it as a gift instead of payment then nobody will get charged a transaction fee.
jgm0348

Post by jgm0348 »

For another business I have I used to use Square but I did get some questions about using the unbranded white square. I switched to paypal and now use their PayPal branded reader and have not had a issue yet.
old school

Post by old school »

Venmo and Google wallet are free, they dont want to be used by businesses.
That being said it works well.
RCRNR

Post by RCRNR »

I use the clover flex which is a very professional credit card machine it cost more but it prints its own receipts and allows customers to enter debit pins which cost less than credit card transactions. Compared to something attached to ones phone I feel it is way more professional. I have only been open a short time a little over a month but have had no one blink when I pull out the flex. I have only done approx. 2 k in credit card sales being most of my customers use insurance. You should look up the clover flex pay more up front but save in transaction fees using debit instead of credit. I do repair only, studies suggest that payments under 80 dollars are almost always debit it will pay for itself.