Customer sketchy when paying with credit card w/ Mobile APP

This forum is dedicated to sales, marketing, insurance, and other business development issues. Since this is a Windshield Repair sub forum, please continue to use the other forums on this board to discuss non-windshield repair related issues of any nature.
SanAntonioWindshield

Customer sketchy when paying with credit card w/ Mobile APP

Post by SanAntonioWindshield »

Greetings,

I been noticing customers becoming very sketchy about paying with credit card afterfinding out that I'm proccess them with my smart phone. I'm new the business, but I've had several incidents already when the customers decides to pay another way. Actually not one has allowed me proccess it through my phone. I even show them the Bank of America logo on the screen.

Although this it's been more profitable for me saving the assoicated fees, I don't like the wired vibe after informing them of my new credit card proccessing method. Has anyone had this problem? Any suggestions on how to overcome this? :|

Steven Y
Delta Factory Certified Tech
San Antonio Windshield Repair
StellarChip

Re: Customer sketchy when paying with credit card w/ Mobile APP

Post by StellarChip »

I carry the bank supplied, blank credit card forms with me and fill them out on the spot and process them at the end of each day. I have had cards declined but the customer has always made good on them. I'd be uncomfortable giving my cc number to someone running it on the phone, but not so worried with the old fashioned paper and swiping method.
Roo
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Roo »

I don't process a whole lot of credit cards to begin with. However, I do them through my Iphone when I do and have never had anyone think twice about letting me process that way. Do you have your company name/logo on your invoices, truck, clothing, business cards, etc? I know it's not absolutely necessary but it does show and give a feeling of dealing with a professional business that is not out to just make a quick buck.
StellarChip

Post by StellarChip »

I agree with Roo, all of our ticks are lettered up and my guys are uniformed. Our invoices are printed 2 part invoices with our company logo and fed tax id on them. Even so we still sometimes get weird customers who don't like when we hand write their cc info. Seems some only prefer a swiper.
photoadjuster
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by photoadjuster »

I have not had anyone hesitate to let me swipe their card. I use the squareup.com swiper that plugs into the earphone jack of the iphone. (it also works with some Android phones) After swiping you can clearly show the customer that your phone only contains the last four numbers of their credit card. They use their finger to sign directly on the iphone's screen and if they wish, an email receipt can be mailed to their email or mobile phone account. You can even include a photo of your completed repair.

With squareup.com:

The total cost is 2.75% + $ 0.15. That's it. No monthly fee, no statement fee, no security fee, no nothing else. You sign up on the internet and they mail you a free swiper. Costs nothing to test it out.

I have had a normal merchants account for over 10 years. The rate is supposted to be 2.3%, but with the other fee's, equipment costs, etc, it has been costing much, much more than the sqaureup service. Starting this year, on my old merchant account, there is a $ 139.00 annual security fee and you are required to test your security every 3 months, which takes a couple of hours. It is just a pain.

I have only had the squareup a few months but I am getting ready to cancel the old account.

Mike Stephenson
Regards,
Mike Stephenson
Eco Steam
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Eco Steam »

I have used multiple cc processors over the years and have found that they're just too expensive. I signed up for squareup when they launched and have been using them now for a few months....AWESOME!

That's the best way to describe them. No monthly fees...its awesome .

Never any issues from Customers either, they're always open to my payment options.
Eco Steam Car Wash & Detailing
photoadjuster

Post by photoadjuster »

The only downside to SquareUp is the extra 15 minutes it takes to tell the customer where to get one. They always want one.
Regards,
Mike Stephenson
just chippen away

Post by just chippen away »

ATX_Windshield_Repairs wrote:I have used multiple cc processors over the years and have found that they're just too expensive. I signed up for squareup when they launched and have been using them now for a few months....AWESOME!

Never any issues from Customers either, they're always open to my payment options.

I just looked at the Squareup site... The only fee is the card swipe fee or for the back swiping cards key-in use? that is all? So a lets say for a figure of $50. it will cost 1.38, that is it?

Any other hidden fees that you have found?
Just Chippen Away
just chippen away

Post by just chippen away »

just chippen away wrote:
ATX_Windshield_Repairs wrote:I have used multiple cc processors over the years and have found that they're just too expensive. I signed up for squareup when they launched and have been using them now for a few months....AWESOME!

I just looked at the Squareup site... The only fee is the card swipe fee or for the bad swiping cards key-in use? that is all? So a lets say for a figure of $50. it will cost 1.38, that is it?

Any other hidden fees that you have found?
Just Chippen Away
photoadjuster

Post by photoadjuster »

The only fees are 2.75% for swiping the card or 3.5% if the card is not present (like taking an order on the phone) plus $ 0.15 per transaction. This 15 cents is the fee that the electronic banking network charges.

One other cost savings feature is that if you refund a charge there are no fees, none. With a regular merchant account you pay the fees both ways, once upon the sale and again upon the refund. A regular merchant account is as close to fraud as fraud can be, and under the new federal laws that begin Jan 1st, it will probably get more expensive.

You can also use Square to send the customer a receipt when they pay you cash, at no cost to you.

The receipt that the customer receives via email, has all of your company info, plus the description you entered, plus a street map that shows the exact location you were at when the customer signed the phone, plus the customers signature.

One thing to know is that at first they will only deposit 1,000.00 per week. Any sales over this amount are withheld for up to 30 days in case of refunds or disputes. You can remove this limit by providing them with a financial report and company history that lets them know you are an well established business, with a good credit history.

So far it looks like a winner.
Regards,
Mike Stephenson