Delta Star Break repair video

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
TGD

Delta Star Break repair video

Post by TGD »

I just previewed a Delta star break repair video on you tube, what I don't understand is that after the pressure / vacuum cycles, just before the curing lamp goes on, you can still see the shiny legs as if the break was never filled. Why is that ?
(search YouTube - delta star break repair)
Kgobin
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Delta Star Break repair video

Post by Kgobin »

At times the angle you choose to record from, the lighting, and other variables can make a good repair appear to have not been properly filled or a poor repair look perfectly acceptable.
Korey Gobin
Delta Kits, Inc.
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by screenman »

Resin has a slightly different refraction index uncured as to when it is cured.
TGD

Post by TGD »

This is the problem I've been having with my repairs, they look filled and upon curing, When I'm done with the repair I find that there is still a shiny leg, no matter what I try. Then it is too late after the repair has been cured.
Kgobin
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by Kgobin »

Be sure you look at the damage from multiple angles before you start and as you fill it. You should be able to find an angle from which you see the air (black) disappearing as the damage is filled. Feel free to call into Delta Kits as we would be more than happy to walk you through a windshield repair.
Korey Gobin
Delta Kits, Inc.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Assuming you did everything correctly and the leg was actually filled, then cured, from some angle the leg will still be visible. When you shift your head around the leg should become invisible again from a different angle. Look at an unrepaired leg and it will be visible from almost any angle. Repaired legs will only show up from a certain angle. When you fill a star with multiple legs at least some leg will be visible from where ever you look. Although sometimes they do almost completely disappear, you can't count on that all the time.

Make sure you dry it out if there is any chance that moisture is in the chip. Rain X that has run into the chip will make it look this way too, I think.

Make sure the client knows that ghost lines will be visible. I tell them that it's like bonding a broken tea cup together with the best stuff on the market. You will still be able to see the glue lines when you are done. The same holds true for chip repair. They can understand this.

It is funny though, the guy that says he doesn't care what it will look like when its done and just wants it stopped, will sometimes be the one that will gripe at the smallest blemish.
Dr.Chipster

Post by Dr.Chipster »

Just educate your customer as to what a properly repaired break will look like. They don't disappear.
screenman

Post by screenman »

Undersell and over deliver.
TGD

Post by TGD »

I guess my expectations of a repair was too high, you guys give great advice, much appreciated. What are the chances of a shiny leg spreading, after the rest of the break looks fully filled, cured and repaired? Because I've been telling my customers that although they can still see a shiny leg when the sun hits, it will not spread. :D
screenman

Post by screenman »

Now shiny or empty that is the thing you need to know. Cross referencing will help you identify an empty leg, if anyone is having a problem deciding please go back to your practice windshield and do some star breaks and watch hard from every angle whilst they fill. Alternatively once you have finished the repair and cured, try flexing the legs, if you have not done the repair properly you will soon find out.