harder then normal lights list

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
Kgobin
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: harder then normal lights list

Post by Kgobin »

We encountered a Honda Accord similar to what Time2Shine experienced. It was obvious that the headlights had a coating on them, but our technician was able to restore the headlights to like new condition in less than 30 minutes. Below is a time lapsed video detailing the process.

Korey Gobin
Delta Kits, Inc.
Roo
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Roo »

Korey, it says "this is a private video make sure to accept the sender's friend request".
Kgobin

Post by Kgobin »

sorry about that :o , the video is public now
Korey Gobin
Delta Kits, Inc.
pickmaster60

Post by pickmaster60 »

I encountered a coating similar to the one in the video on a Ford Taurus. I spent a little more time sanding with the 320 grit and in the end I got good results and a satisfied customer.
candyman

Post by candyman »

Dodge Caravan. I've done two lately. The drivers side lens were easy and the other took 2, 320 & 2, 600 sanding disc. The end result was like Koreys photos on this post. I've had a 2003 Pontiac, and a 2005 Mercedes that did the same on the passenger side while the drivers side was quick and easy.
Ricersux

Post by Ricersux »

Holy crap batman!! I just worked on a 04 Impala and damn it that oem coating is crazy! It was like I didnt have a sanding disc attached. Took 6 320grit discs to do half of one lense! I'm thinking about getting some 180grit for situations like this.
-Eric
CLEARVU INC.
Indianapolis, Indiana
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

The 180 makes a huge difference and as long as you still use the 320 and all the additional steps there they come out looking great. We tried using 180 and skipping the 320 step to save on discs but that left sanding marks.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

Im sorry but Im still sanding by hand in most cases seldom use a sander and have to say if you are having that much trouble you either are doing something wrong or use a system that doesnt work well :?: seriosly never work on a pair more than 20 minutes start to finish
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

Well there is no question in my mind that machine sanding is faster than hand sanding, just as it is when sanding wood, metal, or paint. I think it's going to tough to make an argument that a few dozen strokes a minute can compare with thousands of strokes a minute. If you have not found that to be the case then I would have to question the machine sanding products and methods that you have tried. We have literally tried at least 10 machines, dozens of different brands of papers, grits, etc., and just as many methods.

Unless you used a very course abrasive I'm not sure you would ever get the extra hard coatings that we are talking about off when sanding by hand, and certainly not in 20 minutes. Until a week or so ago I was not convinced that there were coatings that hard, but I now understand what many others on this board have been talking about.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

You missed the point Prob my fault I dont spend 20 minutes by hand so my point is if its taking that long by machine they are not doing it right either not enough pressure or wrong grit could be useing a type of paper that loads up to quickly or a bad grade.