Does a LED flashlight give off UV light?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Roo
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Does a LED flashlight give off UV light?

Post by Roo »

I shined it on a practice repair tonight and the results were less than stellar, just wondering if that could have caused the issue?
screenman

Re: Does a LED flashlight give off UV light?

Post by screenman »

I think they do but it would be an imeasurable amount, try a test. small amount of pit fill under curing tab and shine light at it see if it goes off.

I use this same demonstration outside on shady days and on sunny days in the shade to show up how indirect UV there is about.

I would have thought your problems lay more in my favourite subject.
Mr Bill

Post by Mr Bill »

Hardly likely!
Otherwise everyone would be using LED flshlights instead of cure lights.
Kgobin
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by Kgobin »

There are LED lights that put out the same wavelength as our lights, but they are currently too expensive to be practical. Most LED lights put out 400+ nm which is too high for proper curing.
Korey Gobin
Delta Kits, Inc.
Roo

Post by Roo »

I just thought it might have caused a little premature aging and been the culprit of the poor repair. I did something wrong somewhere and was just trying to figure it out. There are way to many factors that could have gone wrong, however I don't think moisture was the culprit because I had just made the break a few hours before the repair and the glass was in my garage the whole time. I basically think I was just tired and forgot to get all the loose glass out of the break. When I was finishing with the razor blade a rather large chunk of glass came off and the repair looked kind of hazy/milky. There is also a chance that I made the damage on top of a previous repair area. So in short I don't think I will ever know exactly what happened, the good news is I have made several other successful repairs since then so it's definitely a user error.
screenman

Post by screenman »

Now if we had known the full story before we may have answered differently. Premature curing is unlikey to be the problem, by milky do you mean the pit area? Anyway glad you are happy with where you are with your repairs now. I still spend a while inspecting each and every damage before I repair even after 21 years, just to make I know what I am going to end up with, also it helps me work out which way the damage runs etc.
Pankaj

Post by Pankaj »

Well, I think there are different bulbs using in led flashlight that using UV light. Some people say they are immeasurable amount of energy. Then try also to test again in some other way of using LED light then UV light.
GLASSTIME

Post by GLASSTIME »

Roo,

This is a good question. I have a pair of safety glasses that are equipped with two LED lights on each side of the Lenses.
I only use them for WSR and when there isn't enough light for me to see the repair. I'm unsure what the output of these are ,
however I am not right up on the repair as they are quite brite.

Since using them I have no problems with any premature curing!
Chad E. Clewis
President
GLASSTIME Windshield Repair & Headlight Restoration

"Its What You Put Into It That Counts"
Mettaj
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by Mettaj »

Pankaj wrote:Well, I think there are different bulbs using in led flashlight that using UV light. Some people say they are immeasurable amount of energy. Then try also to test again in some other way of using LED light then UV light.
I know LED flashlight give off UV light as well. I've my own experience of it so that I can ensure it.
screenman

Post by screenman »

This post is just one example of how our trade progresses.