Using a towel for UV Protection

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
NCWindshield

Using a towel for UV Protection

Post by NCWindshield »

Alright, so I have been torn between a plain old yellow UV shield, and the UV bubble. Without really working with either one, I am not sure which way I should go. In the mean time, it has been mentioned in another thread that some people use a towel to shield their repairs. I am not sure I can stand working under one of the other two methods, and was wondering if someone could describe to me how they use the towel. I think I would like to try that to see if it is something i would be more comfortable doing. I am 6'4, and 245lbs. and even though some people have said they are bigger guys using the bubble, I would just prefer something easier to move on and off like a towel.
kenb81
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Using a towel for UV Protection

Post by kenb81 »

Just throw the towel over the bridge
SGT

Post by SGT »

Heavy bath towels will work fine. Will not only block UV but will also provide some cooling value. Unless you phyically attatch it though, moderate wind will blow it away.

Hats are super simple, will provode UV protection, less cooling value and again will tend to blow off easilly.

Wrapping shop towels around the injector will work as well in a pinch.

UV Dome , although bulky, provides you the ability to visually monitor the repair without premature curing. No cooling value. It is easy on and off and does not require adjustment during the repair.

UV shield will provide you with the UV protection and is light and compact. Has no real cooling value.

Depending on the job and who is watching some UV blocking options give a more professional impression than others. There is a place for all options even those less professional in appearance when function outweighs any negative impression it may give.
Safe Glass Technologies

2012 WRO Gold
2009 WRO Gold
2009 WSRPOTY
2008 WRO Silver
SuperGlassDave

Post by SuperGlassDave »

At SuperGlass we made a nice, easy to use UV Shield by applying Lumar UV Blocking Film to a piece of mylar and cutting it to shape around our injectors. The mylar lies flush to the glass with a hole for your injector and allows you to see the damage and even probe it through the mylar shield.
The Lumar film guarantees to block 99.99% of UV. Resin won't cure under it even with a strong UV light over it for hours. It's cheap to make and it only takes a few minutes to apply the film and cut to shape around your bridge. Our shields are about 3" x 4" to cover the entire damage, have a small hole for the injector to contact the entry point of the damage and the injector anchors the shield to the glass.
SuperGlass introduced it at an NWRA conference a few years back and invited any and everyone to copy it. You are all welcome to the idea as well. If I can help, post here and I will.
David Casey - SuperGlass
Frank EU

Post by Frank EU »

Hi Dave, that is a long time ago! Welcome to this Forum. It is nice and helpfull that you are sharing some ideas here.
SGT

Post by SGT »

Hey Dave,

Do you have a photo to share?
Safe Glass Technologies

2012 WRO Gold
2009 WRO Gold
2009 WSRPOTY
2008 WRO Silver
SuperGlassDave

Post by SuperGlassDave »

Hello Sgt, nice to hear from you too. I am happy to post a photo but, am not sure I know how. I'll try to copy and past to this post but that may not work. If not, maybe Brent can help. I will e mail it to him.
Hopefully you can see how the shield lies flush to the glass with the hole for the injector. Damage is totally covered but you can see all the legs.
Hope you and the other members feel like there is plenty to be thankful for this week.
David
Attachments
04.jpg
04.jpg (105.55 KiB) Viewed 1406 times
06.jpg
06.jpg (97.33 KiB) Viewed 1406 times
SGT

Post by SGT »

Thanks Dave. I look forward to seeing it. Is it on your website? Yes you are right on being thankful. There are so many with much less and we all should be thankfull for all time spent on top of the grass.
Safe Glass Technologies

2012 WRO Gold
2009 WRO Gold
2009 WSRPOTY
2008 WRO Silver
simplyweb

Post by simplyweb »

I use a bath towel its pink :oops:
windshielddoc
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by windshielddoc »

I would love to see the picture of SuperGlassDave's UV blocker contraption. I am starting a mobile repair business and in the direct sun, a towel is not ideal, and I am a cheap ba*!#rd so your idea sounds great :D . If you still have the picture that is. This post was created over 6 years ago. HA