UV Coating Peeling

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
Bois
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

UV Coating Peeling

Post by Bois »

I restored the headlights on a Frieghtliner truck several weeks ago and they looked good. Yesterday, the customer called and said that the coating is peeling. I don't know the extent of the peeling. I've set up an appointment to reveiw (and repair) the damage next Saturday.

What could cause the UV coating to peel? I use Dvelup's Clear Wipe & Slicker (50-50). Could I have applied too thick a layer? Too hot?

Is there a quick way to remove the old coating without having to go through the wet sanding process? I once read where someone said paint thinner would remove the coating.
Dale...
No job is so simple that it cannot be done wrong.
GlassStarz
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: UV Coating Peeling

Post by GlassStarz »

I know with my system the second step of cleaning it is important any residue will keep the top coat from bonding
harrellbenjamin

Re: UV Coating Peeling

Post by harrellbenjamin »

Bois;31218 wrote:I restored the headlights on a Frieghtliner truck several weeks ago and they looked good. Yesterday, the customer called and said that the coating is peeling. I don't know the extent of the peeling. I've set up an appointment to reveiw (and repair) the damage next Saturday.

What could cause the UV coating to peel? I use Dvelup's Clear Wipe & Slicker (50-50). Could I have applied too thick a layer? Too hot?

Is there a quick way to remove the old coating without having to go through the wet sanding process? I once read where someone said paint thinner would remove the coating.
You are having an adhesion problem.Do you wipe (using Dvelup system)with alcohol and dry well before applying top coat?? Also I feel that by using the Modified system(WD-40 to sand out/wipe with mineral spirits/apply 2-part sealer you just might achieve better bonding.This would be a great way also to rapidly repair your peeling problem too.JMHO