door to door sales question

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
guitardood99x

door to door sales question

Post by guitardood99x »

Hi,
Im currently working a location im doing about 4.5 a day 5 days a week its an ok living i guess not the greatest income well my question is ... on my 2 days off how do i go about going door to door... do I just go to a housing development and look at the cars in the driveways for cracks... isnt this dangerous.
Thanks
Matt
Dave M
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: door to door sales question

Post by Dave M »

Why are so many newbies concerned about going door to door? Is this what the equipment manufacturers are suggesting you do to start your new business? What happened to getting accounts at dealerships, fleets, rental agencies, businesses and going after insurance and retail.
I'm reading a lot of posts asking about tents and car washes and door to door.........it's driving me crazy!!!
I think the backbone of having a successful repair business is variety. Do not rely on one market if you want to last. Be aggressive, go get the work...don't wait for it to come to you!
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

Dave I agree thats what happens when you get into a buisness with no real sales experience or understanding just bought a kit and now I is a repairman. Just about any chimp can be taught to do decent repairs but not everyone can sell. All we can do as seasoned vets is give advice and try to help folks avoid the pit falls we all experienced at first. Not to jump back up on the soap box but this really is a sales job and repeat customers like fleets and dealerships are the only way sitting under a tent waiting for someone to arrive is about the lamest way I could imagine. Man that has to be boring the couple months I did the carwash years ago were up and down cruddy days when no one washed thier cars slowwww.
Mike Allen

Post by Mike Allen »

I think going door to door is a great way to get your name out to the community.

By going door to door you are getting out and working for the business you receive. At the same time, you are leaving your potential client base with a personal impression of you and the business you own.

Dave Thomas did it with tremendous success when starting Wendy's and how many other's are out there that have become hugely succesful doing the exact same thing.

So if it is working for you, then stick to it. If you're not getting all the results you expected right away, still stick it out and things will turn around.

I received a call the other day from someone whose door I had knocked 3 weeks ago. Sometimes it takes time for things to come around.
Chris Williams (Trinsic)

Post by Chris Williams (Trinsic) »

Well If those seasoned vets can't handle door to door and car washes then thats fine... "but this really is a sales job." Door to door is pure sales. The key is your transition from the door to there cars. Just tell them you will take 20 sec and go check there windshields...Then turn and walk over to there cars. 9 out 10 times they will just follow you. You should get at least one an hour... If you fall bellow this then you need to be more confident and not over sell it.

As for car washes and tents... Some spots can be nasty but I have one in Idaho that is doing right around 18 a day... Can't complain about that.
mrchip

Post by mrchip »

trinsic..what do you charge for those repairs??
Chris Williams (Trinsic)

Post by Chris Williams (Trinsic) »

9 out of 10 are insurance jobs and 30$ for cash jobs.
SGT

Post by SGT »

Chris,

I find your method interesting. I am not sure how well it would be recieved in my area though. Most people are on their guard and default to most things being shady. Probably would be a tough road to follow here. In any event I would be open minded to hearing the dialog used between your techs and potential customers. It seems like you have had tremendous success from it. Please share if you feel comfortable making it public. Thanks.
Safe Glass Technologies

2012 WRO Gold
2009 WRO Gold
2009 WSRPOTY
2008 WRO Silver
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

cold calling (coistering) buisnesses is time better spent you reach more potential customers at on time and lay the ground work for repeat customers. Door to door residental is time wasted a busy beauty shop with 15 cars in the lot will get better results real estate and similar offices always pay off. if you went through a entire neigborhood and left door knob hanger adverts stating you will be in the area on day A and the proceure for insurance claims you would get several calls but just blind residental door to door is a waste and trust me I look out the window at my house and see some guy peering in my cars window I come out with the gun thats an absolute fact
boyd

Post by boyd »

Or better yet ..... if they don't have a chip on there glass you could sell them into Amway or maybe even a Kirby vacuum. Awe, heck, why not get the whole family involved and get your wife to sell Mary Kay.
The point is ... every business is a sales business but, this is a repair business first. How many oil lube people come knocking on your door? Tire salesmen, car salesmen? I'm totally against door to door. But hey, if it works for you go for it. One thing I've learned as I get older is, different things work for different people.

Good Luck.
BOYD
Repairing for 12 years (and never knocked on a "cold call door")