New PDR Forum

Discuss all aspects of paintless dent repair, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
Coitster
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

ladder

Post by Coitster »

Hey Everyone,
Jeff at Delta Kits has been kind enough to add a Paintless Dent Repair Forum for those of us who do PDR "Paintless Dent Repair" in addition to our windshield repair work. I really look foward to discussing PDR with all of you others that do it.
David
Coitster
Glass
autocosmetics

New PDR Forum

Post by autocosmetics »

This is a great idea, I know alot of windshield repair techs do pdr and other add on services. I started with vinyl/leather repair and added windshield repair. I've been working on pdr--it's pretty tough! Coitster, how long have you been doing pdr? How long did it take for you to feel confident in your work? Did you go to pdr training?

Jim
Coitster

pdr forum

Post by Coitster »

Hey Jim,
Well I have been doing PDR for a little over a year now. I went to a school for 6 weeks up in Kansas. 3 months after I got home from training we had a massive series of hail storms come accross Dallas and north Texas. I really havn't done many door dings exept hail work. Hail was a great learning experiance, I am still learning everyday. In all reality it took me about 6 months of constant work to feel comfertable with my repairs. Bigger dents I can't get to completely dissapear but I can come close and have learned how to blend them in. I would say it takes about a year to consider yourself decent at it, and at least 3 years to consider yourself good. Definetly a much harder trade to learn then windshield repair. Takes a lot of dedication...... how did you start learning PDR???
David
Coitster
Glass
autocosmetics

What is Paintless Dent Repair?

Post by autocosmetics »

I had been checking in pdr for a long time, talked to alot of people who did it and who trained for it. It sounded like something I could add to my business, and it seemed like a challenge, but something that I really wanted to attempt. I set up the practice hood in my garage and bought some tools (that's a long story in itself!) and got a video. I was really good at the x and o thing, but when it came time to make a dent and push it out, it was really hard for me to find the center of the dent. So I called practically everyone that trains for pdr, and ended up going to Kansas for a week of training. Don't let anyone tell you you'll learn enough in a week or two.....I could have stayed home and learned just as much! I had been told to come to training for a week and get some good tips, then go home and practice, then when I get good at getting most of the dent out, come back for some intensive training to learn how to finish off the repair. I can get a dent out most of the way, but don't get it to where I'm satisfied with it.
Coitster

RLI Home Based Business Liability Insurance

Post by Coitster »

I personaly spent about 2 years looking into PDR as another source of income. I am very happy I got into, however boy does it take a lot of practice.
David
Coitster
Glass
kdp

Post by kdp »

Question...Guys.....

Does Practice Make Perfect????

Look forward to your replies!!
Coitster

Post by Coitster »

I thought it was Perfect Practice makes perfect. If you keep practicing the wrong way, you will only be a hack.
David
Coitster
Glass
kdp

Post by kdp »

Got it right!!!

You must be a football fan, David?

Vince Lombardi was right when he asked the same question!

If you are not practicing right you will be a hack...... Well he didn't say "hack" but close enough!
bling

Re: New PDR Forum

Post by bling »

what do you consider a hack?