signs are up 3rd day but very little reaction!!

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
texas jim

signs are up 3rd day but very little reaction!!

Post by texas jim »

Well have started with signs out but still slow, trying to figure out if im not using a good location? very busy street. should i consider this to be normal. it just takes some time to get a reaction? :eusa_wall
texas jim

Re: signs are up 3rd day but very little reaction!!

Post by texas jim »

I would like to add something to my own post seeing that i had been some what aggravated at the time. see the road I'm on is 40.000 plus cars a day. my location is a lott location. and near a car wash. but it was the only available location on the street. signs are basic yellow and red writing measuring 4 ft by 8 ft. out front facing both traffic directions. now at this time i don't do any insurance claims. only customer pay. I'm waiting to collect enough to pay for act and then to start processing insurance claims. i did promise the wife i would only use moneys made to progress the business. not that she isn't behind me on this but is a little skeptical about the business. i have only been on the lott for two days now. and my guess is it just takes time to get noticed. I'm not as patient as i should be would be my guess. but highly motivated. I'm sure all of you out their have been at this stage. wright fix had a post about motivation and frustration! i can relate to that. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks
DaveC

Post by DaveC »

Jim,

People are creature of habit. They normally travel the same route to/from work and can be oblivious to new signage or even buildings (I know I am that way;). Even then, they are probably bent on getting somewhere fast. So, those that notice your sign, may just make a mental note to visit you on a day off.

One thing you could certainly do is place a "be back in 10 minutes sign (or call )" and visit some of the other local merchants with your cards and flyers.
maxryde
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by maxryde »

40,000 cars! That is a lot, you should get busy there and it is just that you
My best mentor one said " be fair with your priceing but never too low, be honest with your customer/competition, when the day is done be sure you have done "good works", and always leave something of value on the barganing table!!

While my friend and trainer/ mentor Ray has moved on, his words live.
Chips_Away_Windshield_Repair

Post by Chips_Away_Windshield_Repair »

Hey Jim,
hang in there buddy! Two or three days do not make a career.

One thing I do at a location is always look busy doing paper work, cleaning equipment what ever.

My son in law in Huntsville told me yesterday about "Glass Guy" stationed at the truck stop on I-45 north exit of Huntsville, on his CB every ten minutes or so talking to truckers and doing a lot of business.

Not my cup of tea but just an idea to pass on.

As far as joining ACT or Lynx, Safelite or any other, I've said it before and I'll say it once more.....forget them!!!!!!!!!.....just call the insured's claim number on their card, you will be talking directly to a clerk who will give you an authorization number, tell them who you are, mobil repair, customer information policy number, their phone number. They will want your fax number when you get the phone back the first few times you call but then as soon as you give them your phone number on future calls they will have that info you just need to varify.
Then give the phone to the customer, at the end of the conversation the clerk will ask if you accept their payment, you say yes.
GMAC by the way is $75.00 +10 and 10.
State Farm the exception, tell them to take your receipt to their agent for remburshment, Allstate agents, Farmers will also generally write a check on their office account.

Now,,,,,, very important.....before you call, ask the customer when the damage occured, where, fill in info on your work order, tell them they don't have to be real talkative to the clerk, they just fill in the blanks!

Also tell them as the clerk will, they have the right to choose any repair facility they want too.
Since you are not a member of their network they do not quarantee your work......no problem if in advance you tell the customer you personal quarantee is better because you care enough to do a through job (not like a kid who is sent out and has to be back at the shop in a half hour reguardless if the repair is totally complete), you will restore the structural integrity to their w/s, prevent it from cracking and restore the optical clarity by at least 70%.
I tell them this plus the fact it costs so much to join the networks, they take a percentage of my profits by belonging "ain't that a kick in the rear?"
All they say is they will give me a "few leads" which are usually worthless.

More later, the libary is putting me on a diffferent computor
Chips Away's 40' Monaco Exec. ,'05 Honda CR-V,
Channel 13 Graybeard
Bois

Post by Bois »

Hang in there, Jim. Heavy traffic alone is not enough. You should be in a spot where traffic slows down - like at a traffic light or STOP sign. Most people are in a hurry going some place so give them time to get use to your being there. They will come back or make time the next time they're driving your way.
I've had many customers say that they've seen my tent many times but they just haven't had the time until now.

Another thing that happens is I make more appointments for after-hours work than I do making repairs during the day. Some days I'll do no repairs, but end up with several appointments after 5:00pm.

Dale...
texas jim

Post by texas jim »

I thank all your input. i needed that I'm not is patient as i should be when it comes to waiting for business. good news is i will soon have my self into the insurance side of this business and i hope that will increase my business. i believe my location is a good one. not far from dealers and used car Lott,s. of course finding a used car Lott in Houston owned by some one who speaks is difficult. but thats another story. i again thank all of you (dale,graybeard, Dave and Scott) for the input. and will use this sound advice and welcome any one else who can share their experience in the most trying times of starting up a business. Jim
mafsu

Post by mafsu »

It can be hard to get traffic to stop for you. The ideal location would be one where cars are already stopping(mall parking lot, car wash). Since you have this location and seem dedicated to it a here are a couple of things you can do to bring in some business. Go down to the car wash and speak with the manager. See if you can leave cards there or put up a flyer. Talk to the guys washing the cars offer them $5 for a referral or lunch from McDonald's. Leave cards with them. Have the customer bring you the card with the employee's name on it, so yyou know who to pay. Visit the other businesses and ask to leave cards or a flyer in their lobby. I would also try to get some work from the dealers during slow traffic times. Get the people driving by to notice you. Stand out at the street wearing a clown suit holding balloons. Just joking about the balloons but you get the point.
jonnyques

Post by jonnyques »

I was going to say put some balloons on the sign! You eye is attracted to moving distractions, more than a stationary sign. O and I hope the signs look professional!