need help

Posts from Old Forum (Pre August 2003)
Anonymous

Re: Question

Post by Anonymous »

Hey Everyone
I'm having trouble getting the permits/licenses I need to operate my mobile repair biz. I'm being told that I need a repair shop license to operate out of my home. Even though I wont being doing repairs at my home. The problem is I cant get a permit because I live in a residential area which is not zoned for such use. I have read some things in this forum about the same type of problem I am having, but I was hoping somebody in New York might have some info I need.
I will also take any advice someone may have for me. Thanks for your help.

Mike
Anonymous

need help

Post by Anonymous »

Mike,
Where in New York?
Anonymous

Need Help

Post by Anonymous »

You are on your own! These things vary State by State, town by town etc. Do you have a lawyer friend?
Anonymous

needhelp-Licensing

Post by Anonymous »

Hi Mike. I used to work as a county planner in Colorado(zoning, code enforcement, etc). Customer service varies greatly within all government agencies. The service increases substantially if you set up an appointment and speak with someone in person. If that doesn't work get the planning manager or community development director involved. From what you have said I believe the person you talked with was mistaken. Here's another thought, how about getting a PO box for your business address - it's mobile after all, and this may help with the business license paperwork. Don't be afraid to get employees in the agency involved with your case - they are their to help you. If one of them holds a different opinion just move on to another employee - preferably up the latter. You may need to provide them with the property location you envision working at for zoning purposes - possibly with a letter of approval from the property owner. In short, there are certainly ways through this and you may have to educate yourself on the land use regulations in order to prove your case. Once you get the approval be sure to remember the employee's name and date / time you talked with them - just in case the problem arises again.

Good luck.
Anonymous

Re: needhelp-Licensing

Post by Anonymous »

Also, there will be a copy of the land use regulations available at your community development department - no charge if you go through it there. Be sure to look through the definitions and zoning sections and look for information on mobile businesses - or some variation of this. If you find something that doesn't give you the answer you're looking for just keep searching until you find something to base your case on. This is the most assured way to convince them that you're right should they be unwilling to change their position otherwise.
Anonymous

Re: needhelp-Licensing

Post by Anonymous »

I'm in Albany, New York. Thanks for the advice. It seems I just need to talk to the right people. I'll do my research and Ill let everyone know how it turns out. Again, thanks for your help.
Mike
Anonymous

Re: need help

Post by Anonymous »

GlassKing,

Check out Delta Kits site under business opp. Then click your state. There might be some good info for you.

Pay it foward,

Brian
www.safeglasstechnologies.com

[email]"info@safeglasstechnologies.com"[/email][/email]
Anonymous

Re: need help

Post by Anonymous »

Its nice to see the guys here giving you such Good advice... What about using a parents or other family members address if they are in the area, Id go that route only if I was really stuck... Its best to stay legal and get it sorted right from the start. It saves hassles down the road, I went the PO BOX route, I dont want people coming to my door, its not fair on my neighbors... I really think you should go back and talk with someone else, Avoid the other person, maybe they got it wrong or maybe they just didnt understand you... Give it another shot.... By the way its good to have a PO box just so your paychecks are in a fairly safe place... Good Luck...
Anonymous

Need Help

Post by Anonymous »

GlassKing,
I don't know if this will help you or not because I'm in Ohio, but I operate a mobile service out of my home. I do vinyl and leather repair, and I'm just now adding windshield repair. I called the Small Business Administration and they sent me a packet of information that detailed just what I needed to do. It had forms to register my name in this state, as well as what licenses to get. I've been doing this for a couple years now, and don't have any problem whatsoever. I had to get a delivery vendor's license and I pay state sales tax twice a year. I can't put out a sign or anything like that because I live in a residential area, but there weren't any other restrictions. Maybe you have some organization in your state that you can contact for assistance. Hope this helps!
Anonymous

Re: Need Help

Post by Anonymous »

GlassKing,
Here's a link to the SBA in your area, just click on "Startup kit" on the left side and give them a call. They'll send you a packet, and it's free. I'm sure it will be a big help, I know it was for me.
www.governmentguide.com/a...D=16102163