Getting tent locations?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
tooldini

Getting tent locations?

Post by tooldini »

Hello,, I have been doing repairs for over a year part time. I only have my vehicle lettered and a medium yellow pages. I don't get many jobs and most are replacements due to most people not knowing you can fix chips :(. Anyway my question is how do you approch the issue of renting a location? I have a place in mind right across from the local walmart in a very very high traffic area with lots of stopping and slow moving traffic. I think it would be great.It is an old lumber company building with a large parking lot. it has been up for lease or purchase for a long long time. Do you feel this is something that I could make happen? What would you guys recommend to get for a successful tent location equipment and supplies other than my normal repair equipment? I would appreciate the help I like the customers coming to me and need to get more work.

thanks
Jeff
maxryde
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Getting tent locations?

Post by maxryde »

Sounds like a good location but you will only know for sure after trying. The only way to find out is to ask and then work the location! When I say work that is what I mean. Let me explain, I see folks doing the tent thing and they set up and then they grab a good book or sit in their vehicle and people don't respond as well as when you appear to be busy. If you can, make an appointment with a customer or friend to kick off the day!! I find that it is OK for people to approach you if someone else has done so first, nobody wants to be the one who breaks the ice so to speak. If you have no prospect at least look busy, work on a practice piece of lami. I went to our local replacement shop and they gave me some scrap pieces of flat laminated glass for practice repairs. Two slotted pieces of wood make a good stand and voila, your CREATING interest. Another thing is if potential customers are parking in an area close to your location talk to them or offer to clean their shield, another ice breaker. Tents can be lucrative but don't rely on this type of sales alone!! Good luck, Scott
My best mentor one said " be fair with your priceing but never too low, be honest with your customer/competition, when the day is done be sure you have done "good works", and always leave something of value on the barganing table!!

While my friend and trainer/ mentor Ray has moved on, his words live.
ChipMaster

Post by ChipMaster »

hi jeff ,
i do nothing but tents any more and one of the easiest ways to get a location is to go in another store thats on the lot, if there is one, and ask for a manager. when a manager comes out introduce yourself "hi my name is Jeff with (company name here), i was needing to get the property managements number i have a question about a couple of spaces in the parking lot outside. would you...possible have the number it would really help me out. thanks" they usually get the number and sometimes even a contact name. this is just the first step in the door ,now if there is not another store then just call the number on the for lease sign. when you have the number give it a call and ask for who ever would be in charge, concernining the rental of two parking spaces on 'such and such street'. Buy using the word "rental" it gets it in there heads that there is some potential money invovled so you dont get the quick NO.if the person who answered the phone says well thats me say thats perfect,my name is Jeff with (company name) and what i do is actually set up in good locations with a proffesional tent and offer Free windshield repairs for the customers in that area. usually in my "other" locations i pay a little rent so your company can pull in some extra money. (wait for a response and ,unless they say yes, ask.."if possible i always ask if your not sure about this process to try it for a week. and if you dont like me say the word and im gone".:) (people love to have control):) then just go with the conversation and see where it goes and remember not to get your hopes up because alot of companys have a policy that does not allow these types of things to go on on there property!:) but keep trying and different locations are a must. once you get the spot keep looking its best to have at least three locations because the business dies after 3-6 weeks of being there so you need to alternate. also for your tent use the kiss method for your banners and make them big mine are 4'foot X 8'foot banners.(Keep I Simple Stupid) just have big letters saying FREE FREE WINDSHIELD ROCK CHIP REPAIR FREE FREE you get the idea . Also get a sign made to put on a stick that says FREE ROCK CHIP REPAIR NOW recomend the color red. and stand on the corner or in a good spot and wave it around during rush hours. IF YOU DONT GET AT LEAST 5 A DAY GO TO YOUR OTHER LOCATIONS ....IMO
IF YOU HAVE ANY OTHER ???s THEN LET ME KNOW I WILL TELL YOU WHAT I KNOW:)
ChipMaster out
ClearView WRS

Post by ClearView WRS »

So ChipMaster... I read your comment that states that if you are doing tents, "business dies after 3-6 weeks of being there". I have read many posts here, but you are the first one who mentioned something like that. Would you (and others who operate from tents) mind answering some of my questions? Ok first one, how long you've been doing this? Is that true for most locations? I am new to the business, so I am just trying to find out as much information as possible. In the city where I live, I have seen two of those tents, and they have been there for quite a while... Couple of days ago, I stopped by, and asked all the questions that I had. He said that on average he does 6-7 repairs a day. On the day that I talked to him (the day after Christmas) he did 8 repairs. On Christmas Eve, he did 9 repairs. So that makes me wonder, how come his business doesn
mrchip

Post by mrchip »

hey chipmaster:) just curious at what you charge... also do you call
ins first before repair while cust waits.. do you give gaurentee?..
do you bill direct to ins or go thru networks? i am moving to nc in a couple
weeks and considering tents
CV Windshield Repair

Post by CV Windshield Repair »

Getting a tent location would be good but I believe if a person can,they should consider getting a fixed location.This has a number of benefits,#1 (credibility)when you have a fixed location people know you will not be gone in a week or two.#2 a fixed location,as well as a tent location, is seen by people driving by every day, they may not need their windshield repaired today but when they do there is a good chance they will remember your business.#3 if you live in a part of the country that has cold winters a fixed location is great. If it is COLD outside it does not hinder your work! If it is HOT in the summer,doing repairs in a fixed location is great because the sun is not beating down on the windshield and YOU. If you decide to go into repair full time I would recommend considering a fixed location.
Emagdnim222

Post by Emagdnim222 »

chipmaster---- how much does it normall cost you to "rent" out some of the parking spaces in these locations?
Clarity Glass

Post by Clarity Glass »

Clearview WSR, have you been by my location; red canopy with yellow banners. If not, you'll probably find me inside this weekend selling products for glass since it's going to rain. Steve.
tooldini

Post by tooldini »

thanks for everyones help on this question I actually forgot about it :( I am still planning on setting up this spring. I live in Michigan and want to start again in the spring.

thanks
Jeff
ClearView WRS

Post by ClearView WRS »

Clarity Glass wrote:Clearview WSR, have you been by my location; red canopy with yellow banners. If not, you'll probably find me inside this weekend selling products for glass since it's going to rain. Steve.
Hey Clarity Glass. I don't know if it was your tent or not. I live in Vancouver, WA. The tent that I stopped by was in WincoFoods parking lot. Is that your tent?