Gouged paint, among other things.

Discuss all aspects of windshield replacement, including techniques, billing, etc.
TerryDean
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Gouged paint, among other things.

Post by TerryDean »

Am I crazy for thinking that these down to the metal scratches could have been avoided on my recent windshield repair? I understand having to get a prying device in a tight space can be tricky, but surely this was completely avoidable. The same shop left a piece of trim off that seals the hood and that trim was left laying across my engine which I didn't notice until I got home. I'm glad it didn't get sucked into a pulley and wreck my engine. I didn't inspect before I left the shop with it so I'm just wondering what an installer's prospective is before I go discuss my concerns.
Attachments
IMG_0853.jpg
IMG_0853.jpg (78.76 KiB) Viewed 447 times
IMG_0850.jpg
IMG_0850.jpg (90.91 KiB) Viewed 447 times
IMG_0849.jpg
IMG_0849.jpg (134.78 KiB) Viewed 447 times
kennycrane
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Gouged paint, among other things.

Post by kennycrane »

Wow! Totally inexcusable! That is exactly why it pays to know that the people who have your car are going to take care of it as if it were their own. It looks like some LICK EM and STICK UM people got ahold of that one. There are ways to cut out a windshield without scratching it at all. Whoever did that was in a real hurry simply because they did not put the trim on under the hood. I try to allow 2 hours for a replacement that is plenty of time to take your time and do the job right. From the looks of your car, they probably did it in less than 30 minutes. Granted 2 qualified techs can do a good job quickly but obviously that is not who you had. If you could see the underside I would guess that there are a lot of unprotected scratches as well that will soon begin to rust. That is exactly why cheaper is not always better, I have people who call and I can tell that they are price shopping looking for the cheapest price to go with, not a good idea. I would take that back to them and let them know what they did.
Glasseye
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Gouged paint, among other things.

Post by Glasseye »

Totally agree with kennycrane. To give you your car back, in that condition, is diabolical. It is bad enough with what is visible, God knows what the obscuration band is hiding. If that were my car, I would want the windshield removed, all pinch weld area fully repainted and the windshield refitted to correct manufacturers procedure. I noticed they also gave it back to you with the temporary holding tape still attached, which tells me that they might have let you drive the car away, before the Safe Drive Away Time ( SDAT) had been achieved, a strict no no.