options/abreviations

Discuss all aspects of windshield replacement, including techniques, billing, etc.
pa glass
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

options/abreviations

Post by pa glass »

I believe this could be a helpful topic for all if I get many of you to chime in.

There are quite a few options out there besides RS (rain sensor) and new ones keep coming out.
ACI is acoustic inter layer. Let's start a good reference list to make life easier for us all.
pa glass

Re: options/abreviations

Post by pa glass »

wholly crap people. No one wants to help? This is the toughest bunch of guys to get a conversation going of any forum I was ever on.
Everyone wants to just get to read the other guy's posts and not have to do any work them selves. Participate,don't be selfish!!
BTBTools

Post by BTBTools »

I've got a 10 page list that I've built up over time but there's also several websites that list them. The ones below are from the NGA website:

https://www.glass.org/industry-resource ... y-a-e.html

https://www.glass.org/industry-resource ... y-f-j.html

https://www.glass.org/industry-resource ... y-k-o.html

https://www.glass.org/industry-resource ... y-p-t.html

https://www.glass.org/industry-resource ... y-u-z.html

Happy to help
Adam Smith
BTB Auto Glass Tools
pa glass

Post by pa glass »

I do appreciate the reply. Those lists are, however are not at all to what I am referring. I will try to be more specific.

When one looks up a particular windshield there are often a couple of choices for part numbers. One windshield may say in its description "with ACI" for instance.
Many of you are aware that ACI means acoustic inter layer. Some who are newer to the business, however, may not recall what that or another abbreviation refers to or may know the words but not know how to recognize the feature and how to explain what it actually is to a customer. Another part may say "with LDS. I believe this is lane departure system. The car will alert you if you are drifting. We probably all know RS which is among the first meaning rain sensor.

We need a list of only these windshield specific terms in order to acquire the correct part.
pa glass

Post by pa glass »

So, are all of you employees and installers only? Are there no owner operators or even managers who have to price jobs?
Why bother to come on a forum if you won't contribute? Just silence.
Dempsterglass

Post by Dempsterglass »

Sorry for late response but new to forum and as an owner/operator I'm busy working and enjoying fruits of labor. Most all software has a list at bottom already breaking down what each abbreviation is or you can request from supplier. Secondly I think those of us that run our business and quote already know what those mean and apply to which vehicles and don't need a list of software for most part, thus lack of response.
pa glass

Post by pa glass »

Well, that was the kind of answer I see with the auto glass forum. It comes off as a little stuck up. There are brand new terms that come out all the time. No one is born knowing them. No way everyone but my self just knows every abbreviation right off hand but you sound smarter to everyone reading if you act as though of course you do. There are also new guys and gals starting all the time who may have only installed in the past and did' therefore, not need to know how to look up a part and they also read this forum. As far as the distributors go I use two most of the time. The sales people there mostly have no idea what those abbreviations mean. They just know what is on the screen and their soft ware does not explain them. No way every one else s distributors do know all this and always have the info on their screen. I am not the only guy with these questions, I am just the only guy who will admit it and ask for help. As far as soft ware I simply don't happen to pay for any. I find it too costly for the volume I do to spend $1000. or so every year. I highly doubt that every one on this forum buys software every year. You may be a higher volume shop, I don't know. I can respect that but not everyone has a bunch of guys and does ten shields a day. I do a few a week as they come in and I have a number of other non related services that I do at my shop. This was supposed to be a fun line of chat but as usual mostly silence and non answers such as yours. On the other hand at least you responded so thanks for that. As for the rest of you, thanks for nothing.
Dempsterglass

Post by Dempsterglass »

Stuck up? Geez. No wonder why no one wants to help someone like you.
I'm surprised I even bothered to give you my opinion as to why lack of response or need of a list from those of us with SUCCESSFUL businesses.
Good luck, you're going to need it.
pa glass

Post by pa glass »

Ok, you question my referring to you as "stuck up" and right away you go for an insult suggesting that I may not be "successful" which pretty much reinforces my take on your response. As far as this being why someone like me might not get a response, well I hadn't got a response before I referred to you as stuck up so actually that wouldn't make sense. Instead of even attempting to be of help you went for making your self feel like you are a more successful business which can only be the mark of the opposite. I have been running a nicely successful business since 1990 which is more than likely around the time you were born. I simply and not too stuck up to pretend I have all of the answers. Good luck with our anger management there.
Dempsterglass

Post by Dempsterglass »

You've got issues buddy. You bust people's chops Iin this forum then get butt hurt when someone responds and lash out because you don't like their answer.
I've also been in the auto glass business since 1990. So much for your assumption about me being a child.
You claim to have been in business and and very successful but need help identifying part descriptions.
I doubt your claims of success in this business or in life based on your attitude.
Perhaps you need to find another job instead of working in a field you have learned nothing about.
Once again, good luck, you're going to need it.
I'm done here.