Back Glass removal new dodge?

Discuss all aspects of windshield replacement, including techniques, billing, etc.
AdaAutoGlass
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Back Glass removal new dodge?

Post by AdaAutoGlass »

Hey guys I have replaced a few of these and they eat my lunch every time. Is there some special tool i dont know about to get the suckers out? Any advice would be appreciated.
mikelawtown

Re: Back Glass removal new dodge?

Post by mikelawtown »

what kind of Dodge?
AdaAutoGlass

Post by AdaAutoGlass »

05 Ram
mikelawtown

Post by mikelawtown »

I usually measure up a fein knife L blade on the back of the new one and grind it down a little so it's not too long when cutting. I take out the 3rd brake light and start my L blade there. Just have patience.
Rabbitt

Post by Rabbitt »

lol 05 Ram. they eat everyones lunch. most hated in the business im sure. there is no trick to them. just a little time and a bit of force. fein nife only way i have seen and done around these parts.
pa glass

Post by pa glass »

All I do with these is tape up the remaining glass and pull on the frame until I can see a little thane. Wedge a screw driver in there and pry more, cut more, pull more. I pretty much just rip it loose. I see the p weld bending around but it has to come out. A quick and easy three and a half hours later and it's out like nothing!

The problem is the auto manufacturers are not held accountable. They do what works for them for design and cost. Same with all the one time use clips and how about those rain sensor covers that snap together and good luck with them too. I say we all vow to never remove another ram back slider for them and let the engineers who designed it give it a try.

I have been wondering if the induction method would work with this?
Valentine

Post by Valentine »

Sorry to say, it's just a PITA, plain and simple.

Even more so when it's a power slider, then not only does it eat your lunch, but you will also miss the kid's soccer game.
pa glass

Post by pa glass »

So far everyone simply says, yeah it is hard to do. It would be helpful if we could all read about each other's procedure instead of un helpful coments. That's why I went over mine. I may do something you havn't tried and I'm sure I could learn a little from your's. Do you take the seats out? Is that not as hard as it sounds? what tools do you like to cut through the thick plastic? I don't even drop the head liner because I think it just gets more in my way, is that the same for you? That's what a forum is for.
AlaGlassMagic

Post by AlaGlassMagic »

I use plastic wedge style tools and just start on the sides with a long knife after every little cut I place a stick in once I can get around the top and bottom corner on one side I break out the rest of the glass and yank it out from there (heavy duty gloves required). I looks cave man style but I am in and out in less then a hour which is far faster then most. If is has been replace before you are in for a long day. The yank out method only works on factory set or glass that has not been primed. Hope this helps.
pa glass

Post by pa glass »

Thank you Ala. It looks like none of have any real magic to offer on this one. What interests me is the lack of accountability on the part of the manufacturers. It would be enlightening to hear their take on this subject. If a customer watched the frame bending all the heck over the place while we rip a back slider from their $40,000 + truck they would have to be horrified. I don't see how it's reasonable to not have to consider the removal process of any part of an auto. Just leaving it up to us to to do what ever we have to is irresponsible. This goes for the stuck on wiper arms that are then also placed down in a well in the cowel which renders a puller usless as well as the very fragile plastic covers for rain sencers. I had a 2009 Lincoln MKS with a R S and I just sware I was carefull but the tiny hidden clips in side broke. That cover only comes attached to the RS. It cost $400.00. I actually got the insurance to okay it. If that were a retail job I would have lost my hiny on it. To me "it broke while I was working on it" to the custome"I broke it while I was working on it"