Venting Insurance Billing/Calling in an order

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
RCRNR
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Venting Insurance Billing/Calling in an order

Post by RCRNR »

Why do some of the insurance companies only pay for the first chip. I have only been open only one week and love it but I have had some that have 6 chips on windshield and Insurance only wants to pay for 1. I have been doing all the chips for my customers but am a bit annoyed it slows me down when I have a line of customers waiting which always seems to be the case. I am still making great money ,but for me being I work alone, its about the service time six chips take much longer than one being I have only 3 bridges and one of which I don't use. Should I have 6 bridges just in case? Also I have to use speaker phone when calling in a job to make sure they don't send my customer to someone else. I have nipped that one in the bud by using speaker phone. Last night my last customer was told to go to Safelite and make an appointment I immediately ask the person on the phone why are you steering my customer away from me I am ready to do repair as we speak. She said she thought I was a Honda dealership even though the customer drove a Nissan. I did end up getting the customer but he never said he was at a Honda dealership and he was a bit annoyed by them. Over all the process seems ok but be aware depending on what csr you get on the phone the process can take 5 minutes or for some 15-30 minutes. I have been out of the business for 5 years and it seems a bit slower than it should be now. Also if they tell you waiting on authorization just do the repair by the time I get home it is usually on my email with the dispatch number. I am using the tent model along with Free Repairs with approved insurance, which has it drawbacks mentioned above, but being I have only been open one week the amount of business has been huge. I do have cash sales and debit sales as well and do sell benefits of WSR to all who stop, but don't see how one can run a tent location like me with out doing massive amounts of insurance work. Insurance is a headache at the tent and at home when I do the bookkeeping but out of my first 60 plus windshields this week they accounted for about 45 so I need to continue doing them. Any tips on billing and or speeding up the process would be helpful. I have heard some charge for the extra chips to the customer. We were thinking of only doing 3 then they can file again with another glass shop for the rest or come back I am checking into the legality of that now.
candyman
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Venting Insurance Billing/Calling in an order

Post by candyman »

Normally three breaks are the max allowed for repair at one claim. Insurance TPAs will push for replacement beyond the 3, and chip niches are not allowed. HSG will allow adjustments up to 2 additional breaks, but they start at $50 in my area. SGC & Lynx SVC has a higher fixed price, regardless if its 1 or up to 3. I would not do more than that. Time is money. Remember this. They will also come back after that money, if the client changes their mind and wants a replacement even if the repair is good. Ive returned money on breaks older than 2 years with a claim the repair failed. I was not allowed to verify this, but when I did contact the customer I encountered a different story. Thats why independents shy away from insurance claims. Have a great day