Bullseye in pilkington glass.

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
ChipfixLLC
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Bullseye in pilkington glass.

Post by ChipfixLLC »

Sorry for the newbie question here, but I’ve run into this problem three or four times now on a crack repair. This problem only seems to occur on this specific brand of glass which I find curiously odd. Whenever I am set to do a crack repair and I go to Papa bull’s-eye in order to run the crack to terminate it every time I try to pop the bull’s-eye it’s simply just makes another small crack. At first I thought maybe I was just drilling to close, but then I actually got a spare piece of Pilkington glass to try at home and I’m getting the same results just popping up Bullseye anywhere on the glass at various depths of drilling . Thoughts?
ghost rider
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Bullseye in pilkington glass.

Post by ghost rider »

I have noticed that different brands of glass act differently when repairing. Maybe Pilkington glass is more "brittle" ? Don't know. Was it acoustic glass? I have noticed acoustic glass will crack easier when repairing, at least for me it seems to. Best way to solve this problem is to stop drilling and popping bullseyes. I quit drilling and popping bulleyes for long cracks about 20 years ago and don' have any problems with crackout. They last just as long and look a lot better without the drill hole or several holes, as I have seen way too many times, if you don't get the first one right.
ChipfixLLC

Post by ChipfixLLC »

It is acoustic glass. So that kind of glass is typically more brittle? Interesting. When you said you don’t drill anymore, did you mean on this type of glass or just all long cracks in general?
ghost rider
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by ghost rider »

I'm not sure why I have more trouble with acoustic glass. I thought the acoustic part of the windshield was in the PVB layer but maybe the glass is different too. I just know I have to be a little more careful with it.

I don't drill and pop any cracks. To me it just seems like a waste of time. I can do a crack must faster without drilling, I don't have any problems with warranty and it just looks better without that drill hole at the end of the crack.
benswindshieldrepair

Post by benswindshieldrepair »

My understanding of acoustic glass is simply that the plastic interlayer is thicker....maybe I'm wrong.. Anyone?
kennycrane

Post by kennycrane »

My understanding has been the same, that there is an extra layer of lamination between the glass.?????