Thinking about taking the leap. How long to make $

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Rundad
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Thinking about taking the leap. How long to make $

Post by Rundad »

Hello all,
I am just considering coming back to rock chip repair after many years away. I am a recovering replacement tech who also did repairs about 25 years ago. I am in corporate America right now and want to be my own boss. All that to ask this: How quickly can you start making a decent living at this? I plan on buying a Delta Kit and taking the class. I would love to hit it full time immediately after that. How quickly do the networks start sending you jobs? I know that it will be a big selling job on my part, but that is what I have been doing for years and am ready for that.
I know it is different for everyone, but just wanted to get an idea of what real people had experienced. Thank you all for your time!
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Thinking about taking the leap. How long to make $

Post by screenman »

Forget the networks and you could be earning the next day. I paid £4,000 to get into WSR in 1988 I had that money back in 6 weeks, no insurance billing for me then or now.

So the truth is, it is up to you.

Go Delta, go for training and get out selling, the rewards are great.
Rundad

Post by Rundad »

Thanks Screenman!
benswindshieldrepair

Post by benswindshieldrepair »

Don't count on the networks. At all. I'm not a big risk taker so I suggest getting your start while your still have a day-job and taking vacation days and every weekend to bang on every door you possibly can to build a clientele. When the steam builds give 'em the Johnny Paycheck - Take this job and shove it.
Txguy956

Post by Txguy956 »

Im looking into starting a wsr and hlr business also in my area, I've seen a good amount wsr businesses in my area but all of them are busy. Low start up and high margins looks good to me.
candyman

Post by candyman »

THIS MAY BE A BIT LATE FOR YOU. i WAS WORKING A 50-60 HOUR WEEK, WHEN i ORDERED THE KIT. i SHOULD HAVE TAKEN THE COURSE WHEN i MADE MY ORDER. However, I had studied all the videos I could find on you tube. I also had ordered the headlight restoration kit. I hit the road, using a buddies vehicle as my first restoration. I thought I had really messed his lenses up, within 15 minutes. I stuck with the steps, and the end results amazed me and my buddy. The HLR kit paid for my training, airfare to Oregon for the class, and the cost of both kits, within 5 months. I did this working part-time. I practiced repairs on a old WS for a month or more. It took me longer to master the marketing and area canvassing, for the windshield repair. I knew how to sell, I just needed to tailor my plan for windshields. TPA's are your gravy work. You will always be in the learning mode, for windshield repair. Breaks may look the same, yet they don't always react the same, due to outside temp, location of the break, glass temp, type of damage and contamination. I experiment with different techniques for headlight and windshield repair. I read to refresh my knowledge of the variety of resins, sanding methods and UV coatings / sealants. Your success is based on your input of time, marketing skills and quality of work. Regardless of what method or equipment I use, I always seem to find my way home to Delta Kits. I don;t have to second guess my actions, or doubt the performance of the chemicals I use or the injectors. Some people will work car wash centers, detail shops, or highway lots. What ever you do, it will not bring you wealth over night. Area canvass, is another word for door - to -door sells. It can be profitable. I am retired today, due to damage caused by cancer, and removal of part of a kidney. My hands will lock tight if I grip anything. I can no longer reach across a windshield, without my step ladder. I still make money $100 -$400 per day, doing this a few hours . I have friends that do this, that have far more medical conditions, than I do. Like me they take each hurdle, one day at a time, and don't quit. Remember this, for any one reading this. If it is possible for one man, it is also possible for another. You are your limit switch in life. Have a great week. Candyman
Rundad

Post by Rundad »

Thank you Candyman! That is just what I was hoping to hear. I am all but ready to go. I too have been practicing on old windshields. As I am already in sales, I have a pretty good idea of what I need to do from a marketing standpoint. Again, thanks for the info!