Employee theft and TIPS!

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Texasguy
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Employee theft and TIPS!

Post by Texasguy »

So to start with my reply , let me start by stating that I did say , ofcourse as a business owner I would never solicite for a tip . And implied that I knew it would be frowned upon by my bosses . And I was not trying to encourage anyone "getting into " this business to solicite a tip . I was was just elaborating on my focus point of my primary post about employee theft and tips . Just giving a possible perspective of an employee and how employers view or handle this situation (tips) . When I solicited for tips , it meant a big difference in my overall day to receive 35-60$ in tips . It wasn't looking for any "rich quick dollars". Making an extra 35$ everyday in tips meant 700 extra dollars every month when I was only making 1,300-1,400 /month working 160 hours a month . Yes there aren't any "free" repairs , BUT regardless of if they use their insurance to get the repair done or not , they will still have to pay their insurance premiums every month . I could see it putting a "black eye" on the business if the insurance claim might possible raise their insurance premiums , but it doesn't . And I like to assume that I'm giving a better service experience than the other 10 guys in the city doing WSR . No , you wouldn't tip the grocery clerk or the movie ticket guy at the theaters , but that is because they are not performing a skilled service . There are plenty of skilled service people that you do tip , like a waiter/waitress/bartenders still getting an hourly wage . The carpet cleaning guy , your window washing crew , your moving company crew , your hair stylish , my girlfriend tips the people who do manicures and pedicures , all people of whom do a skilled service that not everyone can do . Express mentioned that he will put tip jars out at his locations , maybe that's a great idea Bc his employees won't ever solicite for tips and the customer can still have a non-pressured way of knowing that tips are appreciated and might really make a difference in him retaining employees Bc they are making good $$ working for him .
Anyway , good topic to think about for some owners ...

Texasguy
Windshield911

Post by Windshield911 »

I've done both, worked for step dad doing windshields and now work for myself. Basically I go by what my step dad said. Never ask for a tip, if they offer, decline, if they offer again, take it and say thank you. Usually, when I do get tips its more of this way, I charge a certain amount and they give cash. Pretend I charge $59 and after tax its lets just say $64 to make it easy. Well sometimes they may give $70. I'll go to get their change and they say no, please keep change. I'll say well I don't take tips, they always say, well you do from me and laugh and say customer is always right, right? I tell them thank you and go on my way.
Mr Bill
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Mr Bill »

People do tip me.
I don't do insurance work.
I would never ask for a tip or mention tips.
If you do a job and need more money for the repair, then just raise your prices.
Texasguy

Post by Texasguy »

I would never ask or mention a tip either AS AN OWNER of the business .

Texasguy
old school

Post by old school »

I have no time or interest to set up, buy and then watch cameras, unless I owned a retail store.
TJ19855

Post by TJ19855 »

Have a resin tracking sheet, all my techs get certain amount of resin for each repair. Try the one shots from Delta kits. Also all
Invoices are numbered and assigned to each tech. Have friends or family randomly show up once in a while and test them to see if they pocket cash.