Inside chip?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
shawn2369
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Inside chip?

Post by shawn2369 »

Hi I started chip repair this summer. Twice this summer I ran across chips which did not fill nice for me. On one occasion the chip seemed to come off a star break at the end of one of the legs. It resembled a bullseye type break. It had a frost type color to it. Both situations there was no pit. I drilled using a small bit. I then attempted to fill. Nothing changed. I could not tell for sure if the chip filled. Is it possible the chip was on the inside glass? There was no pit there either. Did I drill deep enough? I am open to experience as I want to ensure good sevices.
Mr Bill
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Inside chip?

Post by Mr Bill »

Maybe it was a chip which some other WSR guy had previously repaired and you were just looking at the scar left after the repair.
shawn2369

Post by shawn2369 »

I dont think that it was. The customer wanted me to repair it. I repaired the star break no problem. It actually turned out very good even though it was very deep.
screenman

Post by screenman »

I have heard this deep word used before, not sure what you mean by it though as I feel all breaks are roughly the same depth, which is down to the PVB.

Inside or out, take a scribe put it directly on top of one of the legs then move yur head about, with practise you will soon learn if it is broken inside or not.

I have often come across the little stars you mention, they normally fill with a lot of flexing and a lot of time.
screenman

Post by screenman »

Can I ask at what point on the break did you drill, as you likely know the centre is unlikely to get you anywhere.
shawn2369

Post by shawn2369 »

By deep I mean the initial pit was deep down to the laminate and fairly big. The star break part was not drilled. I do not recall where the other was drilled. The other part attached did not have any legs it was more of an irregular shaped blob.
screenman

Post by screenman »

Sounds like a damage I would walk away from, pit right down to the PVB is not something we see often and never gives a quality cosmetic repair. Thr frost colour I would suggest could be delamination, but without a picture it is hard to tell.

Is it possible it had been repaired or attempted before and the pit was in fact an old drill hole, we come across hundreds if not thousands of them over here every year.

A picture in future would make life so much easier, in fact I would go as far as to say it is the only way we can really offer any real great help, which of course is what we want to do.