SGC on insurance talk:

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
h2oman
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

SGC on insurance talk:

Post by h2oman »

I have found a insurance agent who can't get anyone to come in his area and he wants to refer all his chip work to me. Duh, ok. I went on one for him today and it was through SGC. As I walked the customer through the process, received my authorization number and hung up, I proceeded to fix the chip. Once the chip was filled and I began the curing process, the customer ask me if there was any guarantee? I said yes, I back up all my repairs with a lifetime warranty. She said she wondered why the lady with SGC made a point to tell her that I was not affiliated with them and therefore they would cover the no fault claim but would not guarantee it ????? What, I am thinking under my breath, I have never had them say that before. I finished up and explained to the lady that SGC prefers repairs done by (The Big Guy) but if I was not set up with them to do the repair, they would not have given me an authorization number to do the repair and assured her I warranty all my work and that is also why her agent trusted in me. Have you ran into this before with SGC?
EMCAutoGlass

Re: SGC on insurance talk:

Post by EMCAutoGlass »

I run into that every single time I authorize a job through Safelite. I usually tell the customer what the agent will say before I make the call, and then go on to explain that I offer a lifetime warranty and will credit them the cost of the repair towards a replacement if it fails (which I haven't yet had to do). I don't believe Safelite actually gives the cost of the repair back to the customer, but instead gives it back to the insurance company and the customer still pays the full price (minus the deductible) for a replacement. This is a "phantom warranty". I also explain that the insured, by law, is allowed to pick any shop they like. After this discussion with the customer, we make the call together on speaker phone and I never have an issue. This whole "warranty" and "no guarantee" for non-participants is just a tactic Safelite uses to steer customers. So, prepping the customer before the call is your best tactic. Too bad that 90% of those insured have Safelite's phone number on the back of their insurance card for glass claims.

Kudos on getting in with an agent and getting referrals! That will hopefully pan out to be consistent work for you. I went to a bunch of State Farm agents last year and have only had one referral from them in the last year.

Take care,
Marty
Dempsterglass

Re: SGC on insurance talk:

Post by Dempsterglass »

Welcome to the monopoly of SGC and its network. Whether you are an independent or affiliate shop they will push every job they can through their own local Safelite shop unless it's to far for them to do. Or if you are fortunate like myself to get the local insurance agent/company to petition corporate office to have you listed as preferred shop above even Safelites own shop. They will do this if you provide excellent cust service and perfect work.
I was a store manager for Safelite for many years and know first hand their operation.
Only thing you can do as an independent outside of network affiliation is grow relationship with local insurance agents and get them to trust in passing your name along as an option to insureds.
When you can set yourself as an affiliate shop do so. That way you don't have to spend 5-10 minutes explaining to customer that warranty jumbo mumbo scare tactic, steering game from SGC script. Plus you can invoice online through SGC (free) saving cost on independent software and EDI.