dirty chip's tip filling, but not leg's middle

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
impala-renegade
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

dirty chip's tip filling, but not leg's middle

Post by impala-renegade »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpKrCDnvL_E

What do you think of this? 2 year old chip I was filling today, you can see what it looked like initially when I flex it. It seemed to fill in at the tips but not in the middle. Do you think it would crack out if left this way?

Thank you all.
GlassStarz
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: dirty chip's tip filling, but not leg's middle

Post by GlassStarz »

I think it probably filled at the center but because it was dirty it looked funky. I see a lot that come from Mexico and are old and dirty they generally fill but sometimes look different. Get resin in that cures well it shouldn,t crack
screenman

Post by screenman »

I am sorry but that is not a repair, nothing like it. Hopefully it was only on a practise glass, if that sort of damage is presenting a problem then maybe back to the people that trained you would be a good idea.

Your work area and tools look dirty, not a good idea in this trade, it looks from here like water may have been present ( difficult to be sure) looking back at another of your post you mentioned not knowing much about drying out, what UV protection did you use?

It is unlikely a long leg like that would be dirty, center of a combination maybe but not long thin legs. I would say you did not dry it properly and did not protect it from UV properly. But as I said earlier difficult to see from here.

Please for the sake of all of us, go back and practise, buy some new tools, tidy up and do it properly. I had a guy in for training yesterday and he was top side of that repair in the first hour.

This all sounds harsh I know, but we have to be real and sometimes the truth hurts. This trade is bursting with people who cannot do simple jobs like this one, or even start to understand why is does not look right, quality training stops this.

I know I will get beaten for speaking my mind, but so be it.
impala-renegade
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by impala-renegade »

No it was just real old and dirty. Your posts are a drag, yes. UV protected well. Chip was very dirty! Expected a post like this from you screen. :( Thanks stars.

So if I can see invisibility added to the tips, from my repair progress, you think it would be sufficient? I have seen this once before. Usually I stop drill to be safe. Thanks!
Mr Bill

Post by Mr Bill »

It looks to me like the leg which you flexed is not filled. The ends of the crack are probably so tight that you cannot see the crack.
You could cover that unfilled leg with black electricians tape to block UV light, and then cure the rest of the break to stabilize it ; then go back and drill and pop a bullseye in the unfilled leg, then inject resin thru the bullseye.
Here in California, it has not rained for at least a month and the glass temp is usually around 80 degrees F, or 26 degrees C; so water contamination is rarely an issue in the summer unless the customer has just washed his windshield prior to your arrival.
On the phone, I tell customers " If your windshield is dirty; just leave it dirty and I will wash the windshield when I finish the repair"
Wishing you good luck .
screenman

Post by screenman »

The legs was not dirty, the leg has moisture in it, it is not filled and last but not least the job is certainly not done. I can see resin has set at the start of the leg, insufficient UV protect was used.

Why do I post craggy replies, well because too many people are trying to get into the trade with very little knowledge and a reluctance to get trained properly.

7 yes 7 that is the number of poorly repaired windshields I have been asked to look at today. And you wonder why I get upset.
screenman

Post by screenman »

Think of me as in the bad cop good cop situation, I am the bad one all the people being nice are the other one. I am purely suggesting what you need to do if you want to get a decent living for any length of time in this trade.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

impala-renegade wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpKrCDnvL_E

What do you think of this? 2 year old chip I was filling today, you can see what it looked like initially when I flex it. It seemed to fill in at the tips but not in the middle. Do you think it would crack out if left this way?

Thank you all.

I've been reading the responses to your post and I am confused about something. I think others may be confused about this as well. I assumed from your original post that the video was of the damage before you repaired it. Was my assumption correct or was the video showing the completed repair? Thank you in advance for your clarification.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Mr Bill

Post by Mr Bill »

It seemed to fill in at the tips but not in the middle.
Er...ahem..... Wouldn't the resin flow past the middle to reach the tips?
My assumption is that the resin never reached the tips.
Hopefully you didn't use heat which could squeeze the resin out of the crack.
screenman

Post by screenman »

There are many reason why resin stops flowing, the 2 most common are water and UV.