Do YOU see old repairs with exposed pits?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
dentmedic
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by dentmedic »

Too often I come acrossed someone elses repair that was drilled and its not filled.

Are Techs not filling or is the filler failing?

Dent Medic
desertstars

Do YOU see old repairs with exposed pits?

Post by desertstars »

Assuming your drill analysis is correct, sounds to me like you have some rip-off artist "tech" around town that is either doing what you suggested was the case or using something other than quality resin. (The latter unlikely. Even bad resin has the capability to stay in the drilled spot but discolor over time.)

See if you can find out who did the "repairs". If it is the same person, I didn't train him unless I was in a hurry at the time.
Igotskills

THanks for the info

Post by Igotskills »

Not necessarily. I like to give people the benifit of the dought. I have been in the repair and replacement business for a long time and I have seen this before myself. What I notice is generaly when there is a drill hole that is not filled in, it is a case of someone using like rainx or they they have recently brought there car through the car wash and had wax applied . Then when the tech tries to fix the repair and doesent notice that the resin isent adhering properly. The resin will usually fall out a short time later. Anyways hope this helps. By the way this is my first time posting in this board. The people on this forum are great and are a real help.
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

:D I see quite a few here I think it has to do with the severe weather -40 winter to 100 deg summer some pit resins just dont take the long term heat and cold they swell and shrink and eventualy fall out. :cry:
Pat

Post by Pat »

Igotskills welcome to the forum
Igotskills

Post by Igotskills »

thank you
Repair1

Post by Repair1 »

Welcome Igotskills,

I think alot of the time when you see these it's from not preparing the chip properly scuffing etc. the cap just falls out. :x Or just lazy ass techs that don't use film just wipe and walk away.
There out there I know that I know of a guy here that does it that way it amazes me how they can walk away from something like that and feel good about it. :roll:

Happy Repairing :wink:

Brian
desertstars

I really dont think age matters...

Post by desertstars »

As I said, it would be interesting to find out whether it is the SAME person doing those repairs.

If not, any of the previous suggestions could be the answer.

I'm aware of a car wash "tech" who used to set up only on large repairs and only because he was forced to in order to make it look "better". He simply drilled the smaller ones and let it go at that.

I know of another "tech" who doesn't bother to UV shield ANY of his repairs because he works so fast. Tou can imagine what HIS repairs look like.

Let's face it. Lousy repairs cannot always be traced to bad resin, weather, RainX, wax, moisture, equipment, or any number of other variables. Those aforementioned can be dealt with using proper procedures practiced by capable and knowledgeable techs.

Just as in other business, there are those in our's who could care less about their customer's needs, quality, or pride in workmanship.

I can't even insult them here because you can bet none of them are on this forum. They are too busy trying to pump out ten jobs per hour.
Repair1

Post by Repair1 »

One other note when I'm at a dealer and see caps that have fallen out or need to be re-done as long as I'm working on something else I will fix them charge $5.00 bucks. Gives me something to do while I'm waiting on the others to fill and I make an extra $5.00 I forgot about it until today whan I re-done one for a dealer turned a $35.00 stop into a $40.00 stop they all add up at the end of the year thats for sure.

Happy Repairing

Brian
cure4glass

Vehicle Signs...

Post by cure4glass »

If I run across previously repaired damage that has an exposed pit I will point it out to the customer and explain potential reasons as to why the pit may have come out,without coming across as bashing competition,Then I will refill the pit at no charge just as a customer service.The customer will appreciate and remember the "little extras".