Novus and delta

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
SGT
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Novus and delta

Post by SGT »

As professionals I think we all can agree, regardless of system, it is the end result that matters " A Structurally Sound Repair". The theory and technology from brand to brand to deliever those results and the marketing hype is just distraction.

For me theory and application played the smallest portion of my brand decision. I felt that all big brands when used per MFG practices by trained individuals would all do great repairs consistently. So I did not even consider the marketing hype between brands. What mattered to me was my use on a daily basis... big, small, bulky, materials used to make it work(seals, o-rings), ease of cleaning, ease of use and adjustment etc...oh and the support from that company.

I could care less if one system draws 28 inches of merc or suspends resin in a chamber or what have you. If you like it and know how to use it and it works great. TERRIFIC! Beyond that we all have a common bond WSR and hopefully doing professional quality repairs.
Safe Glass Technologies

2012 WRO Gold
2009 WRO Gold
2009 WSRPOTY
2008 WRO Silver
candyman
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by candyman »

That was a good, factual post SGT. I also considered rapport developed with the distributors that I called to obtain information about their products. Its a key element of your success If you trust the person or distributor you are dealing with.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

everest_4 wrote:I was talking to a novus tech today and he was telling me how superior their resins and equipment is to anyone else on the industry. Are they doing something we're not?
I think this thread got way off track but in a round about way I think your original question was answered...kind of. Manufacturers, whether that be Delta Kits, Novus, or others, all believe they have superior equipment and resins, or at least I would hope they believe that. Technicians often feel just as strongly about the equipment and resins they they choose to use and although I feel it is irresponsible to say there are no differences, I have certainly seen technicians perform excellent repairs using both of these systems. I've also seen some technicians who do not do good repairs with both of these systems so I agree that the equipment is only one component in the equation and the expertise of the technician and his or her competence with the equipment being used is equally if not more important. Training is mandatory for Novus franchisees whereas it is an option for Delta Kits customers and I am the first to admit that training typically makes a great deal of difference in how well a technician uses his or her windshield repair system.

As to resin quality, there are some huge differences in the quality of resin available to the windshield repair industry to be sure. Obviously I am biased but I believe Delta Kits resins are second to none, just as Novus believes of their resin, however I think it's fair to say that both companies have a good reputation for selling quality equipment and resin products. What it really comes down to is if you want to be a franchisee or an independent. There are advantages and drawbacks to both so each business owner needs to weigh his options carefully.

I've limited my comments to Novus and Delta because that is what you asked about but to appease our other competitors and those using their products I will paraphrase SGT's comments which I agree with wholeheartedly. With the proper skills there is no reason a technician cannot complete exceptional repairs that last for the life of the vehicle using any number of windshield repair systems and resins on the market. Franchisees invest considerably more into their business than the average windshield repair technician and for that they get more training, coaching, etc. More training helps their technicians become proficient in their craft but also gives the franchise a much larger opportunity to sell the franchisee on the equipment and resins they will be using. Being a former franchisee myself (different industry) I can tell you that when you leave a franchise training class you believe 100% that the products you use and sell are the very best. In addition to advertising, brand name recognition, training, etc., franchises provide a huge psychological advantage and the larger investment provides a huge motivational advantage.

There are a number of companies that produce quality windshield repair systems and resins but there is no magic bullet.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
thechipdoctor
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by thechipdoctor »

14u2ponder wrote:
screenman wrote:Please explain where using air to put pressure on a liquid has any advantage to pure hydraulic pressure. Just a clue to get 100psi on your resin using air pressure you would need to compress that air behind the resin by 6.8 times hence the need for the overlong injector. Now to provide the same amount of pressure using pure hydraulics you would need very little movement of the piston allowing for far more control.

Now I make full use of the pressure my injector creates to get the resin to flow nicely to the end of my starbreak legs, also I use this nice free pressure to compress the air at the end of said legs, when the pressure on the resin is released that compressed air really wants to get back into the atmosphere where it belongs, it does this by flowing rapidly past the resin. Now the reason the air flows back out and not the resin is because the air is thinner.

For 18 years I thought vacuum was the magic ingredient in glass repair, I now know different pressure is king.
In screenman's mind he thinks he is winning this discussion with a ridiculous emphasis on how a longer barrel cannot compare to pure hydraulic pressure (how exactly is this a point in anyone's mind but his?) and by lampooning and making absolute statements like "pressure is king." Point I've made time and again is that a longer barrel creates more pressure to pull air from the break (otherwise known as a vacuum cycle) and conversely to trap air behind the resin and thus allow you to push it into the break, all of which the spectrum's longer barrel can do more of than the delta's shorter barrel can do.

screenman's point seems to be to emphasize hydraulic pressure and to point out how he has 18 years in the business. screenman thinks on a higher level than the rest of us.
WOW.......quite aggressive and un-necessary, screenman was making his point as he sees it backed up by his 25years experience!!!
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

14u: How about an example of what Screenman is talking about, air in your hydraulic brake system in your car will cause a spongy pedal. It is not the way the system works best. Pushing a piston down on a noncompressable liquid will apply the same pressure throughout the system while moving the piston very little if at all, the only reason it even moves is that components in the system expand when pressure is put on them. Now saying that, I like to use a vacuum cycle and so like a way of doing that. Most systems will do an excellent job if the tech knows what he or she is doing. There are a great many people that trust Delta, and I think that those people think that Delta has earned that trust. Many other brands have earned the trust of their clients too. It all boils down to personal preference.

Personal attacks on people that do not agree with you will convince no one that your are correct. Something you may never learn. Arguing that your personal preference should be everyone's preference just isn't going to work unless you are a government regulator or legislator. And we all know how well that has worked. I like the saying --"A Mind changed against its will, remains unchanged still."
Mr Bill

Post by Mr Bill »

Calling people "muppets"?
Please show some tact. :roll:
t4k

Post by t4k »

I had to look up the definition of a "Muppet" as I am sure it was intended in this context.

Muppet- A person who is ignorant and generally has no idea about anything.

I am a little surprised too, Mr. Bill.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

Okay guys, I tried to bring this thread back on track with my last post but obviously no one is interested in the original topic. If you wish to continue discussing Muppets (I had to look it up too t4k :D ) please start a new topic in the Water Cooler section. If you wish to continue arguing over who started the personal attacks and who was the worst offender, please take it somewhere else.

Some of you are always telling me we need to keep the threads relevant to the title and not allow any kind of personal attacks, yet cannot seem to stay on topic yourselves and are the first to attack others who disagree with you. It's up to you as individuals to take the high road in your discussions and to stay on topic.