Windshield Repair Olympics

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Windshield Repair Olympics 2010

Post by screenman »

Brian, thanks for that it sheds some light on the competition. As you can imagine from an outsiders point of view it is hard to understand how a repair with air left in it could win the competition, maybe they need to change the time frame. Do they make the damages wet? I feel pressure on most repairs and I have done a lot of demonstrations in my time, I feel my repairs might stand up but my approach and professionalism might be lacking in ever direction.
SGT

Post by SGT »

screenman wrote:Brian, thanks for that it sheds some light on the competition. As you can imagine from an outsiders point of view it is hard to understand how a repair with air left in it could win the competition, maybe they need to change the time frame. Do they make the damages wet? I feel pressure on most repairs and I have done a lot of demonstrations in my time, I feel my repairs might stand up but my approach and professionalism might be lacking in ever direction.
Hi Screenman,

You know I think the time they give is fair but more certainly would be better. May take a certain element of excitement away from the contest though. You ask if there was wet damage and I did not experience any. Each year had a different twist. You just never know what you will face. One thing that I herd that I do not agree with is each competitor being judged on different breaks. In my opinion every competitor should be judged on the same elements in every area being judged.

I know that nixquax was nice enough to post his opinion and I have no doubt he knows what he looked at but the judges are professionals and I hope they scored the repairs accordingly in conjunction with the other areas. My second time was still a pressure cooker but I felt more confident in the contest environment. I was done first in both heats and even had perfect score but It was not that my skills repair skills got better but I was more relaxed becuase I knew what the contest was like. I do not want this to become about me any more than my examples help paint a picture. My time to shine has come and gone and i must step aside. Maybe we can get the new group of winners and contestants to share the experience.
Safe Glass Technologies

2012 WRO Gold
2009 WRO Gold
2009 WSRPOTY
2008 WRO Silver
rtclaus
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by rtclaus »

Congrats to all that competed.
DryStar

Post by DryStar »

I personally, would like to see the 3 finalist be judged in an outdoor environment (weather permitting). Apply some moisture, rain-ex or other hydro treatment on the shields and see how they handle it. Then have them present themselves not to the judges but instead to a customer that has no understanding of windshield repair. Isn't that what 90% of us deal with daily. Let the uneducated consumer decide who provided them with the best presentation and quality repair, not some possibly bias judge.
Dr.Chipster

Post by Dr.Chipster »

DryStar wrote:I personally, would like to see the 3 finalist be judged in an outdoor environment (weather permitting). Apply some moisture, rain-ex or other hydro treatment on the shields and see how they handle it. Then have them present themselves not to the judges but instead to a customer that has no understanding of windshield repair. Isn't that what 90% of us deal with daily. Let the uneducated consumer decide who provided them with the best presentation and quality repair, not some possibly bias judge.
Not a bad Idea DryStar
Frank EU

Post by Frank EU »

By bringing in the sales part, you are limiting the options for any foreign participants. And although you have a valid point, sales are important, this should be mainly about the technical aspects ie: how the repair is being performed and the quality of the work/end result.
Brent Deines

Re: Windshield Repair Olympics 2011

Post by Brent Deines »

The rules for the 2011 Windshield Repair Olympics as well as the prizes score sheet and other information were announced on Glassbytes today.
http://www.glassbytes.com/newswro20110713.htm
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
DryStar

Post by DryStar »

I would only wish Belron/Safelite would enter into this competition. They claim to be the best against any of us but have never competed one on one with any independent. Latest advertisement http://www.glassbytes.com/newsSafelite20110712.htm
clearquest

Post by clearquest »

The more they advertise, the more my sales go up! They are doing us a great favor by promoting wsr! I keep having more and more customers who see their ads and call us! I hope their ad campaigns are long term. Great for my business!