Windshield Repair Olympics

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Windshield Repair Olympics 2010

Post by screenman »

Go back to what TGD said on page one of this post, when he asked about automatic pumps etc. The guys that got top 3 again this year all used injectors, unless of course Novus and Glass-weld have changed their systems.

The pump being the machine that sits on the remote from the injector, the pipe being the bit between said pump and the injector, the bit that transports the air between the pump and the injector. Now this must be a strong piece of pipe as we know that you can compress air but not resin, so to create resin pressure when not using a hydraulic system we need quite a bit of air pressure behind the resin. I wonder how much pressure at the injector a air pressure system makes compared with a hydraulic one, now personally I think the latter one will be far more which will lead to a quicker and more efficient fill of the damage. Now it is a long time since I used a air powered system so my experience may not be that good.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

As I've said year after year, while there are some bragging rights that come with having a Windshield Repair Olympics competitor use a particular system, the competition is won by the competitor, not the manufacturer, so let's keep this topic in focus. Since there is always a variety of windshield repair equipment used by competitors in the Windshield Repair Olympics, I think it's safe to say that these guys and gals are professionals and would likely do excellent repairs with whatever equipment they were properly trained to use. Last year Lee Simms did great repairs using the SuperGlass system, using technology that is completely different than the three top competitors this year, which are all quite different as well.

Of course I have very strong opinions about equipment and techniques, so I'm not saying that all equipment is created equal, but I won't let this topic turn into an argument about technology. I think that is a slap in the face to all of the competitors who deserve the credit for their performances, which are not only judged by repair quality, but by a long list of other factors. Who will win next year or what equipment they use is anyone's guess, but this year Randy earned the title and GlasWeld equipment is what he used in the competition, so both will have bragging rights for the next 12 months. We have to give credit where credit is due!

Move the equipment and technology arguments to another topic please.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
screenman

Post by screenman »

Please accept my apologies, as usual I got carried away, which some may say should actually happen.
nixquax

Post by nixquax »

I attended the 2010 Windshield Olympics and will write a review of the competition from an "outsiders" view. I was able to view all the repairs in both the 1st and 2nd heats the first day of the competition and also the finals which occured the very next day. Congratulations to all who those who competed and to all of those who made the event happen.
NXQX
nixquax

Post by nixquax »

My review of the Walt Gorman 2010 WSR Olympics. I've attented the past 4 NACE shows and WSR competitions. Each year has decreased in size and attendance, no doubt due to the Great Recession. This year seen even a deeper drop off due to the SEMA show not being held at the same time as NACE.
While being an experienced (10 Years) and Certified WSR technician I did not know the criteria for the judging of the competition. Therefore my review is based on a "Before and After" cosmetic appearance of the repairs. There were six technicians competing which resulted in 3 finalists. All six technicians were professional and all repairs were acceptable based on cosmetic appearance. Some of the repairs retained minute traces of air and some legs were not completely filled. A good mix of different equipment was utilized. Due to the lighting (not the quality of the repairs) inside the building (Mandalay Bay - Las Vegas) some repairs were easy to see while others were not. Also the technicians used flashlights from inside the car to the view the repairs. One reccomendation for future competition would be to use a "ring" or some type of marker so the judges could focus on the current repair and not on previous repairs or the condition of the entire windshield. Most ofthe technicians used their probes to flex and help fill in the damage while others used their allotted time (10-minute preparation, 45-minutes to repair) to clean all the windows of the car, inside and out. Based on my simple "Before/After" criteria I would have to disagree with the finals outcome. In my humble estimation I feel Brandon, who used the Novus equipment performed the "Gold" repair while the Silver should have been awarded to Greg (Delta). The official winner was Randy who used Glas Weld but I thought he should have been the Bronze. I hope my opinion does not offend anyone. As always its was a enjoyable experience and now I can tell my own customer with confidence they are receiving "Olympic" level repairs on thier vehicles.
nixquax
screenman

Post by screenman »

Some legs not completely filled, that is scary. Many thanks for the insight, I would love to see pictures of the repairs.
t4k

Post by t4k »

screenman wrote:Some legs not completely filled, that is scary. Many thanks for the insight, I would love to see pictures of the repairs.
I agree. In the Olympics you would expect perfection or at least near perfection. Unfilled legs is a rookie mistake.
just chippen away
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by just chippen away »

I just would like to know so points and voice my thoughts.

How are the percentage points awarded as again? also what type of break was everyone to repair? Star, combo or what ever? How many repairs are they graded on also....

My thoughts only
I would like to see everyone repairing a large number of different repairs and be graded on consistency of all of them. To me, just doing lets say one repair and be allotted up to one hr to do the repair, and also be graded on the rest of the performance??? That is a one shot game there.

Now, I have not been to the Olympics but have tried asking on what they were grading on and how, But no one was really saying much..

To me an Olympics should be graded on the repairs outcome, Pics before and after also. ( I personally would like to see the pics of the repairs done). Is a person a one chip winner or can they maintain consistency on their repairs....?
Just Chippen Away
SGT

Post by SGT »

Since I am the only member that contributes here regularly and that has competed I just want to add a couple thoughts here.

1. Yes some things need to change in the event. I have a sneaky suspicion after this year things just may.

2. The judging criteria is not top secret and is public on the web. Just take a peek.

3. This contest is more than just who can do a great repair. You better have the whole package. They are looking for a true professional on all levels who represents this industry properly.

4. I cannot coment on the repairs this year as I did not see them. But I will say that until you have stepped into the spotlight and feel the pressure first hand we cant be to quick to judge. Case and point... my first year competing, I am in the finals, we both got connected sister star chips. A little more challenging but no biggie. Well remember this is a timed event and it was running long and I was watching Matt and saw it looked like he was ready to finish up. So I pushed things along faster than I should have to get done. So I ended up with what was judged a great repair, had a minor air pocket center mass area and I believe his had a small pocket in a perimeter area. Both great repairs but he finished first. Had I just stuck with it a little more it might have made the difference. Who knows. Did it mean we were rookies because we had a small air pocket in are competition repairs. Ofcourse not. It meant we were in a competion and part of competion is calculating what you need to do with the time you have based on your competion. Take to long and you are DQ'd.

5. I am curious if each member could have there wishes addressed, would you compete? You know that old saying " It is easy to talk the talk, but can you walk the walk"

You know I think there are alot of individuals that want to compete but are on the fence. You will never know until you test your metal. I suspect if there is not a greater interest this contest probably will fade away. If you have ideas and thoughts on making the contest better call the promoters up and speak you peace.
Safe Glass Technologies

2012 WRO Gold
2009 WRO Gold
2009 WSRPOTY
2008 WRO Silver
just chippen away
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by just chippen away »

Brian
Thank you for commenting on this posting. I have to take the truck down and have all of the front balljoints replaced. I will respond more later. I hope other do add their views and wishes also... I am on the fence and may have commpeted this yr but I had a surgery that slowed me down a little for 2 months.... Up and rolling again.
Don D.
Just Chippen Away