hard time filling legs

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
everest_4
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

hard time filling legs

Post by everest_4 »

The last 2 times I did a chip repair I had a very hard time getting the legs to fill and they were only about half an inch long. The weather was around 39 degrees. I even applied heat from the inside and it didn't work. Would it work switching to a thinner resin or am I just doing something wrong like having my resin to cold.
Kgobin
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: hard time filling legs

Post by Kgobin »

What was the temperature of the windshield? Did you heat the windshield while the repair was under pressure or vacuum cycle?
Korey Gobin
Delta Kits, Inc.
screenman

Post by screenman »

Can you give us some more information, at those temperatures I would suggest the damage would have contained a lot of moisture. Did you fully cover the repair whilst working ?
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

Did you apply any heat from the outside? Did you spot heat or use the defrosters on the inside? Did you keep the glass warm throughout the process? Did you warm the resin to about the same temp as the glass?

When the glass is that cold and you heat from the inside only you have to get the inside very hot to get the outside even reasonably warm. As soon as the heat is removed the glass will cool back down again, so it is important to provide consistant heating.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Ricersux

Post by Ricersux »

I've been having issues getting legs to fill also. I'm using a hair dryer to keep the glass at around 75-80degrees. I center the injector over the pit and went into pressure mode. I hade some resin leak from the white seal so I slightly tightened the injector body to the glass. Remained in pressure for 15mins then vacuum for 30sec then back to pressure and repeated it 3 times. The legs only filled about a third. I flexed the leg and saw no movement. I wasn't happy with it but I cured it and the customer was happy but the light would refract off the legs still. The pit and surrounding damage looked good though.
I can make the bullseyes disappear but the star and combo breaks just seem to fight me.

Btw I am using delta kits products.
-Eric
CLEARVU INC.
Indianapolis, Indiana
Kgobin
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by Kgobin »

Ricersux wrote:I had some resin leak from the white seal so I slightly tightened the injector body to the glass.
When you put the bridge on the glass you should screw the injector barrel down until it touches the glass, once it touches the glass you want to give it a half of a turn. Then you want to screw the back leveling screws down until they touch the glass, then you want to give them four half turns. What you are looking for is uniform thickness in that white seal so the number of turns you make may vary. Resin could have leaked because you did not have a proper seal and if so that could result in a bad repair. Also, may I ask how often are you changing your end seal?
Korey Gobin
Delta Kits, Inc.
Roo

Post by Roo »

Ricersux wrote: Remained in pressure for 15mins then vacuum for 30sec then back to pressure and repeated it 3 times.
Did you finish with a 2 min pressure cycle? I am assuming you probably did but had to ask. Did you use a moisture evaporator before the repair could be moisture trapped at end of legs.
mrchips

Post by mrchips »

When the temp changes cooler, the outside temp may be 39 but the actual glass my even be colder, depending on how long its been that cold etc. There are several things that will help.

1. Get the temp of the glass up by running the defroster on high for a while (maybe even 10 minutes)
2. Use a DC volt hairdryer (usually not necessary)
3. Use the thinner resin...(not the stuff you use for bullseyes)
4. Consider opening the entry hole with a small drill (super small........you dont want to make the damage (or opening) any worse if you can help it. All you are trying to do here is make the pathways a little easier to get to.
5. Always put a mirror on it and spot heat the inside of the break with a lighter (short strokes...not too long, remember you just want to warm the glass, not melt the lamination)
6. Use a small scribe as a "probe" to flex the legs while your injector is on the "pressure" cycle. (use the "press and hold" for a few seconds, idea here)

and finally, take your time. The winters here are cold too, but the above techniques work well..........but remember to take your time.

Gook Luck
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

I use the same resin year round, and for all kinds of breaks. Did the same in Montana whether over 100 degrees in the summer or below freezing in the winter. I also rarely drill and don't find that weather has anything to do with that.

We get an increase of tech support calls every fall as people are used to working in warm temperatures when everything fills with very little fuss, but with a few minor adjustments cold weather repairs are no big deal. If using Delta Kits equipment I would encourage you to give us a call when you are doing a repair, or better yet leave a practice windshield outside and give us a call before you start. I'm confident we can help.

Frankly most of the tech support calls we take these days are from customers who have watched one to many youtube video or read one too many post from technicians who do not use our products as they were intended to be used. If you are using someone else's products try whatever you want, but if you are using Delta Kits equipment please call us and let us help you before you try non Delta Kits approved techniques. We developed the equipment and have mastered the techniques that work best when using it.

You may develop techniques of your own or follow advice of others, but if you are having problems please at least try to follow the manufacturer's recommended practices. That is my advice regardless of who the manufacturer is.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
screenman

Post by screenman »

I have found from calls I take that in 7 out of 10 cases of legs not filling it is because 1 of 2 reasons. Moisture still present or no UV shield used. I must say that our temperatures only get down around 30%f so maybe not as cold as over there.