Crack Repair - drilling

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Jbrodie

Crack Repair - drilling

Post by Jbrodie »

When I'm confronted with a customer who has a crack I drill a hole at the end to prevent the crack from spreading. But I read some were in this forum that making a bullseye at the end of the crack is also effective. Does anyone have any luck making those mini bullseye with out it causing more problems? And if so what works?
Frank EU
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Crack Repair - drilling

Post by Frank EU »

We first drill and than tab a small bull's eye. Do NOT drill until you hit the PVB, instead stop at 1/3th of the depth, than tab the bull's eye.
You may want to use the specially designed bull's eye maker, but we use very succesfully our prepared probe (without the sharp tip!).
It usually is a very effective way of repairing (stabilizing) the crack.
Do not panic, sometimes the crack expands when you drill, no problem. Just drill again. Also; one should NEVER forget to place the vehicle in the shade or inside (ie; not in direct sun light), to have the glass cooled down and to check for stress, use your probe.
Again; if it runs it just runs, there is not all that much you can do, let it go, drill where it stopped running and repair the damage (if it runs you at least have a fresh crack, that part should be easy to repair!).
Have you been trained in this? Get yourself a windshield (you may use a new one if you like, that's fine, but we normally prefer an old one) and play with it.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

We do it all the time with no problems so far. I don't remember when I started, but it was probably 10 years ago or so.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Frank EU

Post by Frank EU »

Last but not least; convince yourself where the crack actually truly stopped, cracks can be very tight, look good, use your probe.
screenman

Post by screenman »

Been doing it for 21 years next month, man that is a long time. I would not consider stopping a crack any other way. As Frank says set up a practise screen.

Not a dig at anyone in particular, but very few guys take that last bit of advice.
everest_4

Post by everest_4 »

I successfully did it a few days ago on a truck that had failed inspection because of a small crack. Nevertheless when I was finished the truck passed inspection the next day, the owner was pretty happy. Just my own little success story here. ;)
screenman

Post by screenman »

Why would anyone not want to drill and pop the end of a running crack, surely the extra strenght it give far out weighs the very slight blemish left.

For the that drill and pop and then have problems getting the pit filled properly, often we find that trainee's do not have the drill angle correct when drilling, which allow for a drill hole pointing upwards. Make sure your angle is either perpendicular or very and I mean very slightly pointing downwards.