In House vs. Mobile

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
DRyder

In House vs. Mobile

Post by DRyder »

Can anyone give me an average (which I'm sure will vary) on their percentage of mobile sales vs. in-house? We are currently in-house only (repair and replace), but are looking to go mobile shortly. You can only convince so many people about the advantages to having work done in a controlled envioronment, etc., etc. In our spoiled society most want mobile service. Thanks for your input and sorry if I posted this in the wrong area?
Frank EU
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: In House vs. Mobile

Post by Frank EU »

Oops, you sound a bit harsh claiming that the society is spoiled to want mobile service. Anyway, we are 100% repair only and 100% mobile and never had the need for doing any in house repairs. On a different subject, your member profile reads; Auto Glass Program Coordinator. Very interesting! Can you tell us more?
DRyder

Post by DRyder »

Sounds good right? Just kidding ... that was the title given to Supervise. Nothing special. Thanks for the response.
windshieldwiz

Post by windshieldwiz »

I have been at this a short time....like 4 months.....my approach alot different than most.....I do not sell FREE......most people in life know nothing is free....I advertise "reasonable rates or your insurance may be accepted"........Most pay cash---or check.....IN HOUSE>>>>> I advertise as mobile but only 20 percent of my business has been mobile.... I am sure each area is different....I am in rural area but have a State University Close by....I am the only fulltime repair guy but a couple
replacement shops offer repairs but their main goal is replacements.

If you can find a reasonable price stall at a former gas station etc I feel you can do most in house......I stay away from car dealers/fleeets(not many here anyways and they want something for nothing...)....I RETAIL!!!!!!i DO NOT GIVE ANYTHING AWAY!!!!..Offer a vaild service do excellent work and you will make a decent living in this business...it is not a get rich quick scheme....it is alot of hard work providing a needed service....establish yourself as a REAL Business....not a guy husseling
at gas pumps or car washes....Market yourself.......join Chamber of Commerce etc..............Become a part of the business community.....Windshield repair is a decent honest needed profession that is needed......Smile....advertise......ask for business...make people aware that you are he windshield pro......provide great service and guess what you make a living ....
Good luck.....
screenman

Post by screenman »

I would certainly not advise staying away from fleets/dealers as they can be a fantastic source of regular income, harder to sell to at first maybe but once you are in there is work all the time. I have fleet customers on my books that have spent $1400 per month with me for the last 21 years, good customers and nice people. As for share of work 95% mobile.
windshieldwiz

Post by windshieldwiz »

Screenman.... Yea I would love those fleet accts you mentioned....I certainly did not mean they were not good potential..I wanted to say there are really no fleet possibilities near me at least not within 75 miles or so...thanks for pointing out
I see they could be dependable monthly revenues......thanks
GLASSTIME

Post by GLASSTIME »

Excuse Me!, Excuse Me!
Houston we have a problem. My company was and has been 100% mobile for the past 6 years.
We do hussle in fact if we didn't we sure wouldn't be bringing in the amount of revenue we do on a regular basis. Being mobile has its pro's & con's.
Given I can't stand driving, but again I can't stand being bound to one location.
I have built my company to what is today by delivering a solid, honest business.
Yes! We have spolied quite a bit of our clients. But again its what they pay for.

1. I feel a clean shave, uniformed (shirt tucked).
2.Clean Vehicle & Organized
3. Professional Forms
4.Good Manners
5.Sharp salesman
6. Knowledge
7. Under Promise & Over Deliver
Meaning never tell anyone you can do this for this price
& this is what you will get. Then not deliver!
We always do just a little more than the others and always exceed our customers
Expectations!

I feel strongly that all of the above can play true rather being mobile or fixed!

Last, Market you rear OFF! Flyering & Knocking on doors has been a good one, chambers a good one.
Chad E. Clewis
President
GLASSTIME Windshield Repair & Headlight Restoration

"Its What You Put Into It That Counts"
screenman

Post by screenman »

I like that list it is the same one I work from. This trade is mainly about sales and marketing and without those you will never get any where near your potential income. Hustle everyday and at every chance you get, it does certainly not have to be done in any offensive manner.
DRyder

Post by DRyder »

Thank you all for your input! I really was not referring to spoiling the customer, but more toward the fact that in today's world mobile service is expected, no longer an added bonus. I highly believe in under promise and over deliver - very good point! Any additional insight would be greatly appreciated. And is it great to learn of different views from across the country (US), as well is in other overseas demographics.
ChampionCHIP,wsr

Post by ChampionCHIP,wsr »

hi, you can get in touch with me i am near you and am 100 percent mobile. will answer any question about it.
paul