What have you done to offset high fuel costs?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
starstruck

What have you done to offset high fuel costs?

Post by starstruck »

With fuel at an all time record high in the USA, what have you done to offset the cost? Raised your prices? Added a fuel surcharge? Limited your travel area? Opted to work from a set location and eliminated mobile service? Switched to a more fuel efficient vehicle? Obviously, if you haven't adjusted in one way or another, then the cost of fuel is taking a bigger bite out of your profit.

I haven't raised my pricing but I have added a fuel surcharge per invoice
(non insurance referal). I also now take a closer look at the customer's location and weigh out if it is worthwhile before accepting the job. I try hard to group up repairs by area to make the trips worthwhile. I still do mobile service but also set up at a stationary location whenever possible. I replaced my work truck with a fuel efficent car a couple of year ago.

I also cuss at the fuel pump but that hasn't seemed to help at all! lol
Mr Bill
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: What have you done to offset high fuel costs?

Post by Mr Bill »

What is your stationary location?
screenman

Post by screenman »

Stopped using the helicopter for retail jobs. I have slowed my average speed down by 10 mph and find it save about 12% on fuel without making much difference to how long it takes to do the journey. My Citroen Picasso does 53 mpg so I cannot save much more on that, I have alwys grouped my days in certain area's. Lincolnshire is a very sparsely populated county so travel has always been required to pick up quality customers. I do not do much retail depending on fleet for most of my work nowadays, this way you know you are sure to pick up work at the end of each journey. I also have a fixed location where we do training, tinting etc. but we do not get many drop in jobs.

Diesel now over $10 yes $10 per gallon or 4.54 liters.

Still ,keep smiling it is better than having a 9 to 5 job.
33,000 + screen repairs over 18 years and still learning.
Over
jayjacque

Post by jayjacque »

Am contemplating a slight price raise this summer. Already raised some on my other services. I just got some more competition in my area, so it's a little hard to raise W/R prices yet. I did get more choosy where I would drive on rainy days though.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Not taking the motorhome back to Iowa from Yuma AZ (1500 + miles) and driving the car saves a lot. The MH gets 6 MPG and the car over 20. Bought a small 19 foot trailer for shorter trips that I'll pull behind the car & hope for better mileage. It will be my mobile office in the winter.
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

Added a few more things to what I offer so I can spend the day at One or Two Dealers I now do Paint Repair, WR ,Headlight Repair,Minor Stripes and Plastic Refinishing if you can do $300-$600 per stop you dont drive as much
Glassdoc

Post by Glassdoc »

starstruck;30428 wrote: I haven't raised my pricing but I have added a fuel surcharge per invoice
(non insurance referal). I also now take a closer look at the customer's location and weigh out if it is worthwhile before accepting the job. I try hard to group up repairs by area to make the trips worthwhile. I still do mobile service but also set up at a stationary location whenever possible. I replaced my work truck with a fuel efficent car a couple of year ago.

I also cuss at the fuel pump but that hasn't seemed to help at all! lol
I'm confused. You raised your pricing and you have not raised your pricing...

quote: I have increased profits in combination with taking the appropriate price increases and my customer base seems to have turned more upscale. My per invoice amounts have increased dramatically with the average being about $58. That includes all of my fleet rate business.end quote
starstruck

Post by starstruck »

I have a friend who gives me permission to sit on the vacant lot next to his carwash. I just carry a portable sign so I can be set up in a couple minutes or pull up quickly when called to do a mobile job. It's located within about 5 miles of my home/office, so it's convenient.
starstruck

Post by starstruck »

Yes, you are confused. I have raised prices over the years, just not recently.

I haven't raised my pricing as a direct result of fuel costs.
ProView WR

Post by ProView WR »

starstruck;30438 wrote:I have a friend who gives me permission to sit on the vacant lot next to his carwash. I just carry a portable sign so I can be set up in a couple minutes or pull up quickly when called to do a mobile job. It's located within about 5 miles of my home/office, so it's convenient.
But you aren't using a tent right? :p