Any Ins. Companies Raise Rates on WSR?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
ChipTechsWSR

Oil Change Facilities .....

Post by ChipTechsWSR »

When I explain to customers that windshield repair will not raise their insurance rates, I want to be 100% correct. I know that (very) few certain companies do not pay for repairs, but are there any known companies that would actually raise rates?
I heard from someone that Progressive treats windshield repairs as a regular claim and it could cause raised rates. This person is not in the industry so I don't know whether to believe it or not. I do know that I have had several customers cancel their insurance with Progressive because their glass repair claim was such a lengthy pain to deal with on the phone!
Jeremiahswindshieldrepair

Post by Jeremiahswindshieldrepair »

Progressive, Geico and AIG insurance companies are by far the worst companies to do business with due simply to the fact that they take close to 30 minutes for a simple claim.

However in no case does an insurance company raise rates for a WSR claim. In fact just the opposite. If everyone were to get repairs they could fix 10 windshields to just one $500 glass replacement. I always explain it like this .... If you have comprehensive insurance, your ins. company is guaranteeing you a good clean and safe windshield .. but the only way for them to do this is if you help them keep costs down by repairing any damage that nay crack out. In fact they go as far as to say that they will pay for the repair with no deductible and they will even let you choose where to go .... but they just ask you to get it done.

To prove what i say I have several pages fom insurance companies themselves printed out in color and laminated. Here is one of them http://www.statefarm.com/claims/shldrepr.htm

Hope that helps :)
speedmaverick
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Resin

Post by speedmaverick »

I have had multiple insured customers that said that Erie is now raising rates for repairs. This is a bad thing if it becomes a trend....
SGT
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by SGT »

What we (SGT) have learned about this topic is that we will not carry the liability of a speculative outcome for a decision you cannot control(Premium Increases). We all know that the majority of major insurance companies will waive the repair fee for the customer not replacing the windshield. This is easy to guarantee as it is usually written in black and white. The problem comes when it is time for the customers policy to renew... You don't know that individuals prior claims and claim timeline or their driving record to date let alone the other factors that go into calculating annual premium increases which could easily include the so called FREE windshield repair claim that was submitted.

We feel that we should not committ to something that the insurance companies themselves when we asked this question could not supply a definite answer to, verbal or written. At least the ones we talked too. If it is not policy on paper then more than likely it is possible for this type of hidden increase.

We tell our customers that the repair fee is waived through their comp. coverage portion of their policy depending on which company and explain why but if they ask about premiums we tell them we have not seen this practice but they should contact their insurance professional for a definite answer.

Just our mindset on this topic. If anyone has actual documentation per company please share with the board.

PS. We are also located the Erie's Insc. home state of PA and we just did repair for a customer on 28Aug03 who has Erie Insc. on his Jeep and he did not want to submitt the claim becuase we repaired his motor home just 2 months ago and he feared a premium increase due to claim frequency. He paid cash.
Safe Glass Technologies

2012 WRO Gold
2009 WRO Gold
2009 WSRPOTY
2008 WRO Silver