What do you think of flat rate insurance referals?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Glassdoc
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: What do you think of flat rate insurance referals?

Post by Glassdoc »

My point is this: Yes I charge a higher price and yes I get what I charge.. You say, they won't pay that here.. I challenge that with this simple question.. Dealerships offer windshield replacement and repair. The utilize an outside sub contractor to do the work, their charges are typically 80% more than the average shop would charge. Why do the customers pay for the service there, and not from you? Your $50 invoice at the dealership service counter just cost the owner of that vehicle $75-$90 and they are thrilled because the OEM windshield thru the dealership was quoted at $600. Do not say they won't pay the marked up price.. We all do repairs for the Service departments and have seen the markups..
Glassdoc

Post by Glassdoc »

splitpit;25956 wrote:Hey Jeff....I agree. he's a blow hard. He not only blows smoke, he also insults those who don't do business his way. Don't forget, he handles 87 dealerships on a weekly basis!

I insult.. Wasn't your comments towards a certain tent/trailer vendor just questioned in the last week?.. I am only passing along what I do and what works.. If you don't want to charge more and are happy doing them for what every body else charges, I say go for it.. As for the original topic of flat rate.. I charge what I charge. And I am not giving any percentage to any network or kick backs to any insurance company.
tooldini

Post by tooldini »

Glasdoc I think the problem you have with insurance flatrate isn't the flatrate it is just safelite left a bad taste in your mouth.

Jeff
cazador

Post by cazador »

All this mud slinging is better than reading a thriller and very edicational too . September 1st. I get on the plane to Costa Rica for 2 weeks to do the necessary paperwork to become Residente Pensionado . I'm retired and started the windshield repair business to stay active, besides making an fair extra income. I'm nore Democrate or Republican, but think this country is on its way to go belly up. In CR the dollar is worth 30% more and life expenses far lower , a big reason to relocate and to stay active overthere start maybe a w/s repair business or else....! I admitt , I can move easyly being single , no backpack , just want to live a pleasant life within my means ,,PURA VIDA'' they say in Costa Rica !
cazador

Post by cazador »

Forgot to mention, in Costa Rica are no NETWORKS to deal with, no hasttle sending in your invoice and wait for the money to appear on your bank statement after 3 or more weeks , cash deals only , I admitt no referrals either , have to work that much more inventive .
grouselab

Post by grouselab »

I agree with Blind Squirrel!!
tooldini

Post by tooldini »

You two keep saying "REAL BUSINESS MEN" like not doing it the way Glassdoc says is un business like. I do retail work but not much of it right now. I am happy with insurance referrals. It seems you two would under stand that not everyone will work the same way you two want to. Running a business differently does not mean your not REAL BUSINESS MEN. its kinda funny the way you two think. I am just glad not every business thinks the way you two do,, because $65.00 is too much for a gallon of milk ;)

Jeff
tooldini

Post by tooldini »

I guess I am done here its like beating a dead horse now. Flatrate won't bother me a bit, cause I am not a cheater. CHA CHING 40+K and loving it

Jeff
johnnyone

Post by johnnyone »

Yes I agree with Squirrel and Doc
Things are changing but not to our advantage but to the insurance and networks. Who controling priceing and dispaching.

Next the flat rate will change again and guess to whos advantage.....
Bullseye WSR
splitpit

Post by splitpit »

You are right, Blind Squirrel, it's that arrogance and condescending attitude from GlassDoc that makes me think he is jerk. People can express their different ways of doing business without placing themselves and their ways, up on a pedestal above everyone else. I've been in sales all of my life. My father was a brilliant salesman who took care of our family wonderfully. I learned from him that marketing is only half the battle when dealing with customers. The way you present yourself, the way you come across to others......that is the other half. If people like you because of how you make them feel, then you're already half way through the door. If they think you're a pretentious a-hole with a cocky attitude, you'll lose the sale.

And GlassDoc, as for my jabs at others in the past, it was all done in fun. Cazador and I were just joking around and that has already been covered.

My father was a REAL BUSINESSMAN. He knew the keys to dealing with people. I've taken what I learned from him into being a REAL BUSINESSMAN myself. People tell me that it was a pleasure doing business with me because they like me. It builds business through their personal referals.

So my point is this, success is not entirely about price. If you can effectively and substantially increase your business by building a great reputation on a personal level with your customers, then you are on a successful path.