Help! How do I get started again?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
atouchofglass

Help! How do I get started again?

Post by atouchofglass »

I have been inactive (on a full-time basis) for over two years. I operated in the w/s repair business for almost two years while working part-time at other jobs. I never achieved a consistent living wage from the business, but I know that many of you have. I am willing to work hard, but my situation doesn,t allow for me to invest any funds towards promotion. I am bold enough to use Coisters small office strip mall technique, and do not fear sales. My drawback is that my repair technique was taught to me by a huckster. I have the highest integrity, but I believe that my "finished product" could benefit from more training that I can't afford. This "finished product" is also the reason that I have been hesitant to approach fleet work, feeliing that I would need to be more consistent to keep them using me. I currently manage an auto detail shop where I perform a handful of repairs for extra cash and I also have a contact at an RV dealership that throws me abone or two about every 10 days. I HATE MY JOB!! I desperately want to be in control of my income and I am very scared to reenter the biz full-time. I have a lot riding on my shoulders (non-working Wife, 4 kids, fat mortgage, 2 car payments). Could someone have mercy on me and direct me to the best steps to take to re-enter this awesome biz. Thank you and God Bless
AGSS

Re: Help! How do I get started again?

Post by AGSS »

Unfortunatly your concerns are those of many others, prercisly why there are so few full time companies or companies that never get off the ground.

Remember this no risk, no gain.

Coitster's idea for the strip mall thing sounds good, but remember this Coit has many, many years of repairs under his belt and is very successful in his method of selling, if the mall thing doesn't work, he will not be out in the cold.

For a small starting business, I would suggest more direct sales and less overhead. Professional vehicle lettering, business cards and a professional appearance.

Go after the fleets, why not! I am sure you are picking apart your work more than most fleet managers would.
Shepard

Post by Shepard »

I am new myself, but I would recomend doing 15 repairs each day on a practice windshield that a shop will give you for free... and after 30 days re-examine your skill level... I bet you will have much more self confidence.
atouchofglass

Post by atouchofglass »

I spent almost the first year of my biz working out of a car wash and I did reasonably well. I only had to work a few nights a week as a waiter to supplement my income. I averaged 2-5 repairs a day. I tapped out the existing car wash customer base. In addition the bulk of my repairs were insurance and I paid a local glass shop $10 a repair to process my claims and in return they paid me upfront. I was also paying $10 per to the car wash. This is the system that was in place when I trained with the huckster. He stopped doing it and I picked it up as my own biz. I have learned alot through trial and error and this forum. However, my repairs still need work. The main problem is my tool kit is light by a few (what seems to be) necessary tools.
Evaporator, scribes, drill, and torch. I have overcome this primarily by only doing bullseyes, batwings, small combos and cracks under 3 in. I use a razor blade to clean out the hole of loose glass, a lighter to evaporate and to apply heat to cracks,and a towel to cover my repair from UV. Despite these rudimentary ways I have repaired near 1200 windshields since I began and have sent these customers away with repairs that fall in the 85%-95% clarity. I have had only 12 customers come back to complain. A few cracked out, a few expected better results (the repairs were great), and a few cancelled their claims for unknown reasons. All in all it was a fun run, but I could never find a way to keep a consistent flow of biz. I had magnetics on my car, referral programs, and yellow page ads in 3 counties. None of these worked greatly. I need direction on what tools I really need and how to use them, both to perform better repairs and to drive biz.
rockon299

Post by rockon299 »

Hello, I am fairly new to winshield repair. I sent a email to delta to find out how to ask a question. ( nobody answered me ) this may not be the proper place to ask, I'm very sorry if i step on any toes. This forum has provided me with much information. I have had no training but have been able to have very nice results with repairs. My problem is my pits never look very well. I have tried Delta Pit Polish, but it has not helped. I bought a kit from American and have tried a few resins and pit fillers. Could you please advise me on how to improve my pits. Thank You Very Much, Rory Backus
Mr Bill
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Mr Bill »

Why not try Delta Kits pit filler? I have encountered other people's repairs on which, the pits were yellow and spongy/soft when I probed them. A good quality pit filler should privide a hard clear surface , which can be polished.
I assume you are using a cure tab.
Coitster
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Coitster »

Explain to us what you are doing. Are you just scraping, are you using the pit polish and how long are you polishing? Give us some details for us to help you.
David
Coitster
Glass
rockon299

Post by rockon299 »

Hi guys thanks for your input. I did try the Delta pit polish and didnt have much luck. I am using the curing strips. I'm following the instructions scraping with a razor blade in a cicular motion. i'm very greatfull for any help on this. Thank You Rory
cazador

Post by cazador »

I'm new in the windshield repair business too , bought through this forum a one year ,,old,, Delta Kit and have to say I'm very pleased with it.
When I did get into the w/s repair business I went to the junkyard to get a broken windshield in order to train on.
Also joined a couple of times another w/s repairman to watch his skills and later in the day we dropped by a junkyard for him to see me do some repairs,
thank you Salsera !
By the way , I just enrolled for the Friday June 15th. technical classes by Deltakit to learn the skills taught by the professionals to attack cracks, bullseyes,stars and what more.
Don't mind the 4-days drive in my C-Camper to cover 2000 miles from Conroe,Texas to Eugene,Oregon to enjoy some beautifull scenery underways.
It might take longer , if I get hung-up at the Black-Jack tables while passing through Las Vegas .
All I want to say , it takes efforts to become a factory trained technician and the possibility is there and don't forget it's free of charge , thanks to Deltakit.
cazador

Post by cazador »

I'm new in the windshield repair business too , bought through this forum a one year ,,old,, Delta Kit and have to say I'm very pleased with it.
When I did get into the w/s repair business I went to the junkyard to get a broken windshield in order to train on.
Also joined a couple of times another w/s repairman to watch his skills and later in the day we dropped by a junkyard for him to see me do some repairs, thank you Salsera !
By the way , I just enrolled for the Friday June 15th. technical classes by Deltakit to learn the skills taught by the professionals there to attack cracks, bullseyes,stars and what more.
Don't mind the 4-day drive in my C-Camper to cover 2000 miles from Conroe,Texas to Eugene,Oregon at the same time enjoy some beautifull scenery underways.
It might take longer , if I get hung-up at the Black-Jack tables while passing through Las Vegas .
All I want to say , it takes efforts to become a factory trained w/s repair technician and the possibility is there and don't forget : It is Free , thanks to Deltakit.