Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Anonymous

Even Further ...

Post by Anonymous »

Hi Guys
Down here in beautiful Central Texas, recent home of
US Pres. George W. Bush. ?:~)
I have a few questions I hope somebody might help with before I come off the fence and committ to this venture.
1) I'm certain the video tape will help me learn the business, but supposedly one local guy got out of the business because drilling caused the windshield crack to expand.
Do I get a disclaimer signed before beginning each service, do I expect to purchase some new windshields?
2) Has anybody gone in with another service business, such as car detailing to complement each other's business and share some expenses?
I found that the Flying J truckstop here in town will allow me exclusive rights to service customers on their parking lot if I pay them about $150 monthly ( 1 year contract).
3) Do any mobil guys have success to accept credit card slips the old-fashioned way?
4) Can I bill somebody's insurance AFTER the work was done? IE Monday after a Saturday service?
5) What questions are there I haven't enough experience to have thought of asking yet?

Thanks to all
Ken
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Hey Ken, maybe I can help a little with your questions.

1) The videos are not a bad place to start, but if you are serious about going into any business you should get training in person. All the reputable equipment suppliers also supply training.
as to the "local guy who got out of the business" I don't know the details, but if that was the reason he probably did not have any training or support. If you take your time, with a few precautions it will be unlikely you will be cracking out windshields. However if one should crack out, the windshield was already damaged and you are attempting to save your customer the expense of having to replace it.

2) Be very careful about who you go into business with, as your reputation will rely on their abilities as well as your own. I do have several businesses that I recommend to my customers and in turn they recommend me(PDR, paint touchup, interior repairs, etc...).

3) I used to accept credit card slips the old fashioned way and then manually run them through a credit card machine at the end of the day. It worked out fine.

4) I will qualify this with the fact that I don't do a lot of insurance work. I have never had any problems arise from billing an insurance company on Monday for work done on Saturday. Always have been paid just fine.

Hope this helps

www.ohnonotagain.com
Anonymous

Re: Newbie

Post by Anonymous »

Welcome to the world of windshield repair. A couple of comments regarding your post:
(A) The training videos supply enough educational content to show you technique. However, if going to a training class is not possible, then I suggest going to a junkyard and practice until you get good.
(B) The fellow that you mentioned going out of business probably did not close due to having to replace a windshield. Its more likely that he thought this was an easy money job, and found out the harsh reality that it is work, and like anything or any proffession you must be good at what you do or you won't survive.
I am really appalled at some of the Manufacturers advertisements that suggest you can become an overnight success and be in a 6 digit income bracket in less than a year.. I'm not saying it isn't possible but I will say, it will require a huge effort, salemanship, people skills, and 60-70 hours a week. The down side to this business is inclement weather, insurance (garage keepers, glazier), and competition willing to do shoddy work at half of your price. To the unknowing customer, shoddy work is great.... Until it spreads. The waiver issue has long been a forum debate.. Safelite has every customer sign a waiver prior to work being started.. Myself, I do not believe in waivers.. I am confident enough in my skills and abilities to do a proffessional repair or be honest enough to explain to the customer that their damage may be beyond repair to not need or want to use a waiver as an excuse. I (in my opinion) think to many shops use waivers as an excuse for doing shoddy work (as stated earlier, the customer doesn't know better). And I am against it..
In closing, alot of useful information can be found at these forums. Some of the same questions you may have, are already answered from a previous newbie's question. The thing to remember is: There is no such thing as a stupid question, Although some of the answers... LOL.. Good luck with your decision.. And work it hard, your success depends on you..
Anonymous

re: Newbie

Post by Anonymous »

I learned from a video and a broken windshield out of a car. watch the video a few times and practice practice practice practice. within a month or so of getting my equipment I was stealing work from all of those shoddy repair people. as soon as dealerships saw my work compared to what they were getting I was in. Good luck