bubbles in drill holes

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Anonymous

re: bubbles

Post by Anonymous »

rp4,

Your bubbles are the result of curing under sunlight, i bet there isn't any bubbles before you cure, and they only pop up after the resin hardens, you can use a pin to open up the bubble again, but a hole that small won't accept the viscocity of the pit filler, so you will be forced to use a thinner resin to complete the repair.

My advice to you, always cure the pit with a UV lamp, the rest of the area can be cured with sunlight.

"education is power"
Anonymous

Re: bubbles in drill holes

Post by Anonymous »

Natural sunlight (UV), does not create bubbles to appear in any resin while curing.. Perhaps, and this is only a possibilty, the windshield has not been cooled enough and the resin is actually almost boiling creating and releasing its own gases. But, no where is it documented that sunlight will cause or create air bubbles to appear in a repair. And, if it is due to excessive heat, there is a good chance once it cools the tiny bubbles will dissapate and dissappear.
Anonymous

re: jlujan & bubbles

Post by Anonymous »

Glassdoc,

I respectfully disagree, i cure almost 100% of my repairs with sunlight during the summer, and this is a normal reaction of almost all resins when they cure, in the winter i use a lamp and i have realized that the bubble does not form at all when i use a UV lamp.

Just my opinion.

"education is power"
Anonymous

Re: re: jlujan & bubbles

Post by Anonymous »

Ok, Jlujan. I will acknowledge by your own statement that you truly do not disagree but merely didn't see it this way.
A: I stated that possibly it was due to excessive heat, causing a gas to form of the resin during curing thus leaving small bubbles.
B: You stated, that you cure by sunlight during the summer and "almost" always see the bubbles. But... in the winter months you use your lamp and see no bubbles..
Lets see.. summer, sunlight, temps w/high heat, bubbles..
Winter, sunlight or uv lamp, temps below 50degrees, no bubbles..
Hmmmm.. I do believe you hit it right on the head.. Thank you for sharing..
Anonymous

re: bubbles

Post by Anonymous »

Hello, there are allot of good comments above about not shaking the pit filler ect.. Though I have read a technique that works great for me.. You place a drop of pit filler on the side of the area when it rolls just so slightly it removes the AIR. You then roll your tab over it pushing it toward the pit. I roll by putting the bottom side of the tab down first then roll the resin into the pit. With the type of pit filler I use I have to do this quickly so the resin doesn't run away, so you have to have everything ready.
Mariagilbert
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by Mariagilbert »

Its a type of common problem.
Go on coating, 1st coat needs a light sanding. Then apply a 2nd coat. Bubbles will form in 2nd coat also but hopefully they should disappear on drying. If not, repeat the process. The bubbles are comming from gasses escaping from a reaction in the wood. 1st coat should stop that. If not, 2nd coat should, ect. Depends largely upon wood species. Anyway, more coats look better! :!:
sunshine wr

Post by sunshine wr »

HUH?
t4k
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by t4k »

I'll keep the above post in mind the next time I repair a wooden windshield.
Glasseye
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Glasseye »

Have I just entered the Twilight Zone ? :)