Is black ever ok?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
tyler99

Is black ever ok?

Post by tyler99 »

Still practicing on bullseyes and typically end up with fragments of black specs around the center or a little out.

I have tried less pressure and the conidtions are inside my garage so there is no cold or hot issues.

I am getting excellent improvement but the little bit of blakc specs bugs me...is this an acceptable repair or should the black always be completly gone?

Thanks in adavnce for your thoughts and advice.

Tyler
Sneck

Re: Is black ever ok?

Post by Sneck »

Hi Tyler,

Black specs are small pockets of air that need to be removed.

If multiple vacuum/pressure cycles don't seem to get it all, try this...

... this will depend on what type of equipment you have. I do this using Delta's equipment...

With your equipment still mounted over the break, and your injector still has resin in it...
1. Take the plunger out of the injector.
2. using a probe (long steel pointed scribe or pick) slip the probe down the throat of the injector and gently press the probe point against the impact point of the chip. Watch really close for any changes in resin/air movement. You will have to "play" with it a bit as you may have to press light or a little hard for a moment, and release and try it again. This process can be repeated to create a "pumping motion" with the probe.

I have found that by pressing the probe against the impact point numerous times, you are virtually giving the chip CPR. The resin moves about the chip slightly and this movment seems to help get the trapped air to surface.

Once you feel you have released the trapped air, go through your standard procedure again to make sure there is no trapped air remaining - and cure as usual.

This has helped for me many many times. I hope this helps.

Sneck
tyler99

Post by tyler99 »

Thanks Sneck, do you know where I can get a scribe that reaches through a Delta injector? The one that came with the kit doesn't and I have searched a little on the net and can't seem to find one.

Thanks again,

Tyler
Tbone
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Tbone »

try a sewing store (hallmark) they have long sewing needles
Born to be a W/S repairman.
maxryde
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by maxryde »

Tyler, I use an awl found at any hardware store for around 5 bucks. I would recomend avoiding the wooden handled type as they could become impregnated with resin, to hard to clean.
My best mentor one said " be fair with your priceing but never too low, be honest with your customer/competition, when the day is done be sure you have done "good works", and always leave something of value on the barganing table!!

While my friend and trainer/ mentor Ray has moved on, his words live.
tyler99

Post by tyler99 »

Thanks you guys. I will check the hardware and sewing places out.

Have a good one!

Tyler
Sneck

Post by Sneck »

Hi Tyler,

I got my awl or pick or whatever you want to call it from a local bearing supply store. They have all kinds of seal and bearing related tools and tool kits. They have o-ring picks that look like dental instruments, but what I am actually using came from a little tool kit that came with a handle (about the size of an ink-pen) and a set of pick attachments to thread onto it. Some attachements were hooked (for picking out o-rings and seals and that sort of thing) One of the attachments is just a straight pick and when threaded onto the ink-pen sized handle, the whole thing measures about seven inches long.

Look in your local phone book under "Bearing House" or "Bearing Supply".

Hope this helps.

Sneck