Long Crack repairs without Drilling.

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Anonymous

WSR Marketing/Manual Guide

Post by Anonymous »

I am going to order a repair kit next week and have narrowed it down to Delta Or Windshield Doctor.
W.D. claims that with their patented method, long cracks can be repaired without drilling or bullseyes.

I have never fixed a windshield in my life and want some advice. Jason
Anonymous

Long Crack repairs without Drilling.

Post by Anonymous »

Dentmedics I have the the W.D. kit email me at clay507@yahoo.com and I will talk to you about it...

thanks

Windshield Doctor

Post by Guest »

Dentmedics,

With our windshield chip repair kits you have the option of drilling the end of the crack or not, it is your choice.

It has been proven that over and over that a crack of any significant length (3 inches or more) holds up over time much better when using the drill and pop bullseye method.

The majority of our customers warranty all of their repairs for life, so holding up over the long term is a very real concern to them, and that is why we recommend this method for crack repair.

Jeff Higgins
Delta Kits, Inc.
[email]"jhiggins@deltakits.com"[/email]
www.deltakits.com
Anonymous

Re: Long Crack repairs without Drilling.

Post by Anonymous »

I agree that it doesn't work near as well to repair a crack without drilling. It doesn't even make sense. not only that but I have found that if you do not drill in front of it and you put pressure on it that they run MUCH MUCH easier ... like 50% of the time or more I would say.

Brian Jeremiah
Jeremiah's Windshield Repair
Portland Oregon
503-750-4567
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I only drill the end of cracks that taper down toward the plastic inner layer so as to not trap any air in the end. If the crack comes to the surface, it is easy to get resin all the way to the end.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

long crack repair? why the frell are you wasting your time? thats why they replace windshields. there is no system out there that can repair any chip or crack and make it so you can not see the crack. even repaired, it's still broken. just my two cents worth, and by the way, if you wondering, i have been done this for years, 13 to be exact....

Covering more ground than Lewis and Clark........
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

defiant888,

In my opinion only, although I would like to think most tech's feel the same is...You are absolutely, positively, partially correct only in the sense that no matter what system you use there will always be slight evidence. Where I feel you are misinformed is that it is still broken when it is been repaired. Thats why they call it REPAIR. If it has been repaired properly, it is no longer broken. Just because you can see evidence of the break does not mean it is still broken. Remember, we are REPAIRING, not manufacturing glass.

I also feel this outlook that after a break is REPAIRED it is still broken would apply to someone who was not of the skill level to complete a proper repair. The break would still has the potential for migration. In that case, yes it is still broken.

Thats great that you have that kind of longevity in the industry. It is always good to hear someone elses successes. 13 years is a long time, especially to feel that way about the REPAIR process and your REPAIRS overall though.

Pay it foward,

Brian
www.safeglasstechnologies.com

[email]"info@safeglasstechnologies.com"[/email][/email]
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Let me ask a simple question. Lets say, you broke your arm 5 years ago, had it set in a cast for 12 weeks, cast removed, therapy, and now have full use of your arm. Now, XRAYS still show the scar.. Does that indicate that your arm is still broken? Absolutely NOT... With windshield repair, there is a certain degree of scarring left that is definately visible. Even on the best repairs, a traied eye can and will see a visible scar. That does not mean that it will not hold, nor does it mean that the windshield is still broken. A good repair will be 98% invisible, a great repair is 99.5% invisible. Anything less than that is unexcusable and unsatisfactory to me.. And I warranty all my repairs from stone shots to 15 inch long cracks, for as long as the customer owns the vehicle, not only to hold, but to pass State Inspection..
Anonymous

re: DefiantOne

Post by Anonymous »

ok, lets get this staright. broken bones are mended, or "welded" back together by the body. metal can be welded back and be just as strong, and even plastic can be reapired, but glass? glass repairs and cracks are "repaired" by injecting the resin into the "break". this is more on the lines of glueing two joints together. i have never done a crack longer than 3-4 inches long. am i misinformed?, maybe, but i am paid to to windshields and yes chip repair is a great add on just as dent repair is great for a body shop. long cracks just make no sense in my opinion. when done right, a w/s replcement will get rid of ALL the chips on the window.

my two cents....

Covering more ground than Lewis and Clark........
Anonymous

Re: re: DefiantOne

Post by Anonymous »

If you glue two pieces(wood) together, the joint is stronger than the wood. The same is possible with glass. The biggest problem with replacement of glass is safety. Too many replacement techs do a subpar rush job. This is not to mention the other problems(cut dashes, glass shards in vent ducts, expense, mouldings falling off). I see these problems almost every day.

www.ohnonotagain.com