can\'t get spider star to clear

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Tbone
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

can't get spider star to clear

Post by Tbone »

hey outstanding windshield repair group, I have a practice shield , made stars and flower shape bulleyes with (bb and rubber band) put delta bridge on, set up as instruction, go though vaccum cycle's, wait the
injection time and at curing time, i still have small air pocket on the outer legs
also have crush looking glass at center impact that want clear, tried drilling wouldn't help,
heat also .check the turn pressure on injector body, delta kits it's the week-end
just trying to get a little help if not i will call monday morning
Born to be a W/S repairman.
GlassStarz

Re: can't get spider star to clear

Post by GlassStarz »

There is no set time so if the legs didnt fill to the end you need a couple more cycles. Often you will see the resin seeping up from the cracks this means the pressure isnt forcing it to the end put a cure tab on the leg with a drop of resin under the tab like you would do for a crack repair. The goal is to give enough seal that the resin will force to the end of the leg.
If this doesnt work try the match on the inside of the glass moving it back and forth while alternately flexing the glass with your thumb from the inside as well. there are a bunch of tricks that come with experience.
I have a friend on the west coast who puts a crack expander on the inside of ugly stars to open the legs then applys the injector works well but a bit risky i have been afraid to try it myself always looks like its gonna take off when he does it.
Delta Kits

Post by Delta Kits »

Definitely call on Monday, we'd be glad to help :)
Delta Kits, Inc.
Tbone

Post by Tbone »

thanks glassstarz, should be glass guru
you are a very good coach
i will try your method and let you know
i'm trying to go full-time as of this week
i have a wife to handle bills for me, but
i need to bring something in(cash) a week
so i will be able to still be with you guys
do'nt need to give up my equipment
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

Bone
for instant cash I would walk a small parking lot for a strip mall or go to a Real Estate office walk the lot and find a couple cars with chips. Walk in and ask who owns the car invariably they will point someone out when the show up introduce yourself and tell them you are in the area for another repair and have some time to kill before your apointment you noticed a chip in thier car and could fix it right now for 35$ Tell them thats less than you normaly charge but your expenses to get here are covered by the other repair. I always tell em hey I could sit in the truck and read the paper while waiting for my customer to show or make a little extra money while I wait.
You will be surprised how well this simple approach works. Try Real Estate offices those guys are on the road alot and you will find quite a few chips these guys are also easy sales time is money and they are always running from one place to another with little time to spend at a glass shop waiting for repairs also they are generaly cash customers. carry a sall reciept book from staples and some buisness cards from vista print and your set to go
I have several I go to every other month and do $150-$200 easy while im there most are 8-15 agents. sometimes I get a call to go there so I ask the receptionist to mention I will be in on tuesday ask if antone else needs me while im there result is often a wife or sons car is there when I arrive
Good luck this really is the easiest way to make a living if you can sell and be likable 20 hrs a week should clear $600-$800 pretty easily
screenman

Post by screenman »

Tbone
For your sake and everone else in this trade please make sure you can do goog quality repairs everytime before you start your business.
33,000 + screen repairs over 18 years and still learning.
Over
Tbone

Post by Tbone »

thanks glassstarz and screenman
jonnyques

Post by jonnyques »

One area I know caused me problems when starting was the practice screen. I had a shield on a wooden stand. I then practiced on a car destended for the wreckers. What a difference! Glass on a stand can flex more than one in a car. I know on stars that the presure flexed the glass and closed the legs. On a car the glass cant flex as much and the legs filled. It was someone on the fourm that put me wise. Practicing correctly is less frustrating, produces better results, and eliminates one vertible when you do screw up. I would even suggest flexing on legs from the inside and out side to see what presure will cause them to run. It will prove to you that it can and does happen. Also if you havent drill holes at ends of those legs, pop bulls, and then flex the leg to make it run ito the bull. Now you can back fill. Just some things to try to become comfertable. JMO hope it helps.
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

I carry a thin resin around (poly) hardly ever use it except when a particularly ugly star presents itself then presure cure awhile to keep it from shrinking back seems to work best fro me