what type of resins do you all use

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
BmwJunkie

what type of resins do you all use

Post by BmwJunkie »

Kind of confused on the resin types i should use? Do you use Magnibond or premiumbond? And do I need pit resin? I know I need the pit polish. So any input would be appreciated.
StarQuest

Re: what type of resins do you all use

Post by StarQuest »

BmwJunkie,

Not to poke fun at you but if you already know you need a pit polish why would you not think you need to apply a pit filler resin?

There are so many resins on the market today, best information as to what to use mainly comes from experimenting. Call each manufacture that interest you and ask for some free samples and compare results! Resin preference in this business is the same as equipment preference. What works for you is all that really matters. Without experimenting you'll never really know;)
repare-brise

Post by repare-brise »

I use a star fill resin, thin resin(for bulls eye's), crack resin, pit filler resin, and some tinted resins for special applications(slightly tinted, grey, green, amber, and a dark blue for the tinted portion). As mentioned above get all the samples that you can and experiment, only then will you know what works best for you and your equipment.

Merci
StarQuest

Post by StarQuest »

Merci,

I'm a little suprised that you still utilize tinted resins. I can't imagine using them on any late model vehicles because clear works just fine in the tint shaded area. Could you describe a few special application conditions where you find the need to use these? Just curious;)
GlassStarz
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by GlassStarz »

I keep 2 in the box one thin and one normal and of course the obvios pit filler right now I use Poly but not really very loyal to any resin in particular. As far as tinted resin thats old science about as useful to me as a 8 track player a 3rd world option IMO
gold star wsr

Post by gold star wsr »

I use Glass Technology resins, in decending order of use: Medium, Light, crack. I have heavy on hand, but seldom need it. Of course, pit filler for every completed repair. Yes, it is my understanding that you do need to finish with pit filler. The reason I was given is because the repair resins are formulated for repairs. Once the repair is completed, these resins do not need to withstand external influences such as air pollution, car wash and window washing detergents, weather, etc. Pit filler on the other hand is designed specifically to withstand these elements. When I started in wsr, my ''trainer'' showed me how to finish off the repair by capturing the resin that comes out of the injector when you remove it and putting curing tape over it. Then when it cures, scrape as usual. Now this might be fine for some applications ... specifically cheap fleet work, but if you want to take long-term pride in your finished repairs, I dont recommend it for high end jobs. The repair resin may turn brown and flake off after a time.
repare-brise

Post by repare-brise »

Star quest

I use the following tinted resins for the following reasons

Green tint- works great on a white car or car with green interior- used on star breaks only

Grey tint- used on cars with grey interiors and exteriors- Used on star breaks only

Amber tint-used on cars with brown tone interiors and exteriors- Used on star breaks only

The above resins help reduce the visibility of star breaks

The blue tint I use for bullseyes in the tinted portion of the WS, AMkes them disapear better than clear resin.

Merci
GlassStarz
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by GlassStarz »

So you determine the color of the tint by the interior of the car? thats got to be the lamest thing I have ever heard
Lets think a little because the interior is gray you use a complimentary color so the break is less noticable from the outside?(Camo)
Hey heres a novel option we fix the break in such a way that the person inside the car looking out sees little distraction.(you know the guy useing the windshield for its designed purpose?)
The part that worries me is some new guy will read this and think its the proper way
boyd

Post by boyd »

Amen glassarz.
magicogar

Post by magicogar »

I've tried deltakits and it worked fine. I was curious to try a brand from a reputable company called to test out the bullseye repairs that I had trouble with and I just shooked my head. Just letting ya'll know I don't work for deltakits.