Multiple repairs

This forum is dedicated to sales, marketing, insurance, and other business development issues. Since this is a Windshield Repair sub forum, please continue to use the other forums on this board to discuss non-windshield repair related issues of any nature.
Successteamnva
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Multiple repairs

Post by Successteamnva »

Greetings,
When you have a customer with more than 1 chip, how do you price as a group? Do you charge the same for each or discount the others? Thanks for your help.
ChampionCHIP,wsr
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Multiple repairs

Post by ChampionCHIP,wsr »

I charge per windshield one price. If an ins. co pays for additional I charge that
screenman

Post by screenman »

I charge a third of the first price for every other chip on the same glass.
Semper Fi

Post by Semper Fi »

Just a follow up question, what is your limit for repairs on one windshield? Worded another way, how many repairs will you do before telling the customer to get it replaced?
Semper Fi - USMC
Don’t give up! Don’t ever give up!
Jimmy V.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

For me it's more a question of how good the repairs look and how much the replacement costs. If the repairs all come out great as they should, I don't have a limit.

We don't normally see many windshields needing more than 2-3 repairs at one time but some of my fleet accounts would sometimes have double that amount. I had one motor coach that used to take people to Alaska via the Alcan highway before it was paved and before we finally replaced the windshield we had done dozens of repairs. It was a very expensive windshield and he got new rock chips every trip so he waited until one finally cracked out before he could get it back to me before replacing it.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Semper Fi

Post by Semper Fi »

Good to know. Thanks. Followup wuestion, do insrance companies have a limit?
Semper Fi - USMC
Don’t give up! Don’t ever give up!
Jimmy V.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

I think they they vary on the number they will pay for but I'm afraid I don't know any specifics.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Successteamnva

Post by Successteamnva »

Thanks all for your input
ghost rider

Post by ghost rider »

Semper Fi wrote: December 4th, 2018, 5:28 am Good to know. Thanks. Followup wuestion, do insrance companies have a limit?
If you're asking about how many they pay for, most companies now pay one price no matter how many chips the customer has. There are a few companies that will pay for up to 3 repairs at a reduced price for the second and third. I have only had one company that paid for more than three.

If you're asking how many chips will the insurance company allow on one windshield, I have never heard of any limits on that.
RCRNR

Post by RCRNR »

Most insurance pay for one then rest are free some exceptions are gerber, hsg, pemco, cig etc. I personally charge for cash price in between what the insurance companies pay for an extra chip they pay between 10-20 an extra so I charge 15 to cash customers so long as done at the same time as first at full price. There are some out there that charge less some more its up to you and what your customers will pay and the quality of work you do. I have yet to charge a customer for a rerepair being I will not guarantee some one elses work. Again entirely up to you and what you feel confident with. Just had a cash paying customer in a real nice BMW one chip didn't want to use insurance as I was doing I noticed a 2nd chip on his windshield he said was repaired already in Seattle there was a lot of black and to me did not look repaired. He asked me does that look done right I explained to him it may be structuraly done properly just not the way I do them. He asked me to redo it I charged nothing on that one drilled it and filled it up properly but did not notate it on my invoice. He really wanted to pay me more I told him no being I wont guarantee that chip being I dont know what it looked like initially. He will be back in the future one more very happy customer.