Do you accept insurance rates

This forum is dedicated to sales, marketing, insurance, and other business development issues. Since this is a Windshield Repair sub forum, please continue to use the other forums on this board to discuss non-windshield repair related issues of any nature.
dr_tumnus
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Do you accept insurance rates

Post by dr_tumnus »

Hi there. New the forum. Just wanted to get some opinions from all of you out there. How many of you accept insurance rates no matter what they are? How many of you ask the customer to pay the difference if the rate is lower than what you would normally charge? How many of you make the customer pay every time and leave it up to them to submit the invoice for reimbursement? Or do any of you make the customer pay and then submit the invoices for them?

I bought my business about 3 years ago. Worked for the company for a couple years before that. My price is $69 for 1 repair, $85 for 2 and $100 for 3. Never go above $100. These prices include tax. I only provide mobile service.

The previous owner set these prices, and people generally seem happy to pay them. He always accepted the insurance rates and so do I. Obviously most insurance companies do not pay this much. But this seems a little unfair. I will do one repair for a cash paying customer at $69, and then go fix 3 chips on one windshield for some with Geico and get paid $60. Plus we have to call Geico, get the claim set up, and then I have to submit the invoice online, wait to get paid, etc. It's a lot more work for less money. Obviously there is value to the customer not having to pay anything. They will always call.

I was thinking of making everyone pay me directly, and then submitting their invoices for them for reimbursement. Has anyone had luck with this? I'm sure there would be some sort of backlash, and I would lose some customers. Just wanted to see what other people were doing. Thanks!
old school

Re: Do you accept insurance rates

Post by old school »

I charge more for cash as well but with insurance I do accept their rates. I do know a company that will push the rate at $99 and they say some companies will pay but it takes awhile to get paid and they charge a lot...
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by screenman »

I do not bill any insurance companies and have not done so for over 10 years now, this is one of the reasons. I have no trouble getting customers tp pay me direct and it is up to them if they want to try and reclaim, I doubt many do.
Dave M

Post by Dave M »

I also accept insurance rates. I've noticed in the past couple years that most Ins. Co. have increased the allowed rate. I believe in being diversified but that is another topic.
screenman

Post by screenman »

I should add that I seldom do any retail work as I find it too expensive per job to service, when compared with other sectors.
Mattimeo

Post by Mattimeo »

What i'm doing right now is offering up to 100% deductible off insurance.
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

What are the insurance companies typically offering for one repair?

What do they offer for a crack?

Thanks!
kennycrane

Post by kennycrane »

SteveK wrote:What are the insurance companies typically offering for one repair?

What do they offer for a crack?

Thanks!
In my area 60-65, maybe 70 once in a while. Cracks no longer than a dollar bill are the same.
Mattimeo

Post by Mattimeo »

I've switched up the plan a little bit now. What i'm now doing is a warranty program https://www.theautoglass.ca/warranty/. So basically we manage claims for our customers and provide warranty should anything go wrong with their replacement glass.
Dave M

Post by Dave M »

I was a little confused by your web site. I clicked on windshield repair and was reading about replacement.