Spraying Infinity 4.1

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
ClearHeadlights-Ohio
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Spraying Infinity 4.1

Post by ClearHeadlights-Ohio »

Hi, I'm new to the HLR business and just received my DK HLR it. I used to be a commercial glazier and I tried working for a windshield company but it wasn't what I really wanted to do. HLR seemed like good business and after much research, I chose Delta. The kit seems to be well equipped and I can add on as I need. I have a few questions that I didn't seem to find the answers to in the forum.

1) Can Infinity 4.1 be sprayed? I haven't seen any info on this.
2) Does anyone any HLR contracts/warranty forms? The last mention of this was a few years back. If anyone has them please let me know.
3) How much and what kind of business insurance should I get?

I'm getting ready to form an LLC, get a website up and running and start advertising. I hope to make this a full time business that will allow me to make a decent living.
ClearHeadlights-Ohio

Re: Spraying Infinity 4.1

Will anyone help out a newbie? I see 25 people have read my posts but not one answer. Thanks.
candyman

Post by candyman »

After I first started HLR, it was common to see technicians giving a warranty for their work. Some were for a year others were much longer. I stopped after the second year because I had about a 10% redo during that last year. After checking those redo's I discovered something that may help you decide. Customers were using waxes on the lenses when the had the vehicle detailed. Customers were using chemical sprays for tires on the headlights when using car wash bays. The list goes on as you can see. These things are out of our control. Brand new headlights in some cases only offer a one year limited warranty against defects. Why would a technician offer something on a used headlight that already has damage. I tell the customer. If you want new, buy new. I can give you like new, at a fraction of replacement. I also tell them, if they are not satisfied after the restoration, they owe me nothing. Headlights is almost like car waxing. You have it done as needed. detailers here charge about $75 and up to wax a vehicle. Restorations fall in that range. Have a great day.
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Brent Deines »

Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I prefer to let other technicians answer this type of question but should have jumped in when no one else responded.

1) Maybe. We have put Infinity 4.1 in spray cans but were not satisfied with the results but we have customers who use traditional spray guns and claim they get good results. I've never been good at spraying anything and no one who works for Delta Kits is an experienced spray painter so it's quite possible the results we experienced were user error but until I can spray it on successfully myself I am hesitant to recommend doing so. Sorry I cannot give you a definitive answer on this one.

2) I assume you have already checked with our office for a suggested warranty statement. If not you can send me an email or private message and I get something out to you. We do offer a warranty and rarely have had to honor it but candyman made some excellent points. There are variables that are out of your control which is why even brand new replacement headlights carry a one year warranty or less and with the price of restoring a pair of headlights being approximately the same as having your car waxed it's really quite a bargain.

3) I recommend $1,000,000 liability insurance with garage keeper’s coverage but I also recommend talking to a reputable independent insurance agent before you purchase insurance. A good agent can tell you what kind of insurance you need for your business model and how much insurance you should have. Once you know what you need you can shop around and compare apples to apples. The rates can vary a lot so it pays to get several quotes.
ClearHeadlights-Ohio

Thanks to Candyman and to Brent. Being a HLR newbie it's nice to have questions answered. I'm off to a slow start in the business but it looks good to pick up soon. I'm working on getting a small commercial account and hope to build up from there. There are at least 10 trucking companies in my area along with at least 50 used car dealers so I think I can do ok if I can get in with 2-3 of them. I've only done 3 sets so far, including my own but all 3 have come out looking 100 times better. What I've found that works for me is as follows: Clean, sand, clean, polish, UV coat. I also only use distilled water so as not to leave any spots. Practice makes perfect so I'm still trying to find junk headlights to practice on. Junkyard/salvage yards are far and few between around here so Craigslist has come in handy for finding items, so I'm trying them for headlights. I was thinking of offering a warranty of some sorts but have since decided against it. I'm currently charging $69.99 for a complete restoration and $34.99 for just a clean and polish. Are my prices in range with others here charge? Once I get my website up and running and some business cards I think things will really pick up.
Once again, thanks to those who help out the newbies. Sharing your experiences has helped very much.
Rev

Post by Rev »

I too am HLR newbie also but have decided to offer a Lifetime nontransferable UV Coating Warranty with a 1-year service agreement. For the Lifetime service, I charge $100 with a $50 service fee in the 2nd year and beyond. For automotive dealerships, I reduce the fee to $75 per vehicle and allow them to transfer the warranty with the car, in which the dealers charge their clients $100. I will open for business on June 1st with 9 dealerships, 2 auto auctions (I contracted with 1 for 30 cars a week and the 2nd for 20 cars a week). As for commercial vehicles I charge $100 with a one year warranty, and I have 17 lined up to work with.

If you want to find learning vehicles work on, I meet with a charity that takes in donated used vehicles and was able to cut my teeth there, while helping them sell their cars faster and at a higher price. And best of all got a great charitable tax deduction. If I can help you in any way, please let me know.
Let There Be Light :roll:
ClearHeadlights-Ohio

I too am HLR newbie also but have decided to offer a Lifetime nontransferable UV Coating Warranty with a 1-year service agreement. For the Lifetime service, I charge $100 with a $50 service fee in the 2nd year and beyond. For automotive dealerships, I reduce the fee to $75 per vehicle and allow them to transfer the warranty with the car, in which the dealers charge their clients $100. I will open for business on June 1st with 9 dealerships, 2 auto auctions (I contracted with 1 for 30 cars a week and the 2nd for 20 cars a week). As for commercial vehicles I charge $100 with a one year warranty, and I have 17 lined up to work with.

If you want to find learning vehicles work on, I meet with a charity that takes in donated used vehicles and was able to cut my teeth there, while helping them sell their cars faster and at a higher price. And best of all got a great charitable tax deduction. If I can help you in any way, please let me know.

Do you have a copy of your warranty/service agreement you could share? Any help I can get will be much appreciated. You look like you're going to be a very busy person. I wish you lots of luck.
Rev

Post by Rev »

ClearHeadlights-Ohio, if you would like to talk, go my profile page and look at my wedsite and give me a call.

Randy
Let There Be Light :roll: