Headlight Replacement vs. Restoration

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
photoadjuster
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Headlight Replacement vs. Restoration

Post by photoadjuster »

Wow, I work out of a Mercedes sprinter van. They wanted $ 650.00 each for parts. Looks like you win for the most outlandish asking price.

Maybe we should raise our prices.

Regards,
Mike Stephenson
Lubbock, TX
Regards,
Mike Stephenson
photoadjuster

Post by photoadjuster »

Is there any way to edit one's previous posts.

Should be raise, not rise.
Regards,
Mike Stephenson
ray6
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by ray6 »

Many of the low priced headlights you see advertised on the internet are from China. They have a history of poor fitting and leaking due to poor quality.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

photoadjuster wrote:Is there any way to edit one's previous posts.

Should be raise, not rise.
I made that edit for you and also corrected misspellings on "our" and "Mercedes". I can't do that for every single post as that would be a full time job, but you now have 60 minutes to edit your own posts. Also, if you see a red squiggly line under something you type that means you have a misspelling. Can't do much about grammar unless you type your replies in a word processor 1st and then cut and past into the forum after you are sure everything is perfect.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Rudy2813

Post by Rudy2813 »

Do you have a list of vehicle replacement head lights that you use? Or do you look it up on the internet prior to each restoration?
mend master

Post by mend master »

Rudy2813 wrote:Do you have a list of vehicle replacement head lights that you use? Or do you look it up on the internet prior to each restoration?
You can make up your own list as a "sampling". The point of showing a customer a random sampling of replacement costs is simply to encourage them that they are making a wise, value based decision to have you recondition their lenses instead of replacing them.
quietman

Post by quietman »

lol
johnymunch

Post by johnymunch »

Dealership quote is much higher man, definitely the one who does not know would go and waste money.
pommy

Post by pommy »

...you can't really compare an after-market light with a genuine, most people, especially dealers would know this.

As said previously in the thread - not only are they ill-fitting, they just "look" cheap by comparison.

I tend to discount the idea of using after-market ones to my customers (as if they would be silly to even consider it type of thing) - so comparing with the GENUINE works for me as that is what they will be left with after all.

On a personal note - I bought some after-market lights for my 3 series BMW - mainly due to the price at the time - but one actually snapped when it went it, and BOTH never sat correctly against the car and made it look like it had been in a crash.

My sales pitch is "Keep it genuine" - obviously the car's value plays a part in this - but still, half price is half price on a cheap car too!

My first post - !

Hello all ;)
If the job doesn't mean more than the pay, it will never pay more.
pommy

Post by pommy »

Over here in Australia, on cheap cars like Hyundai's - you can buy a SET, yes, a PAIR of aftermarket headlights for around $100.

I charge $75 to my trade customers for HLR. They replace in this situation 90% of the time.

On the other hand, Toyota and Subaru are $400 per side. This is the easy business.

Have a great day!

P.S - I'm doing 4-5 sets per day at the moment, tiring, but $375 a day - with 2 WSR's at the same place - It's $500 a day almost.
If the job doesn't mean more than the pay, it will never pay more.