Headlight Replacement vs. Restoration

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
candyman
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Headlight Replacement vs. Restoration

Post by candyman »

It sounds like you are doing well, How do you solicit your customers? When I first started the HLR part of my business took off. Now about half of the detail shops that I worked are doing their own HLR. Most just polish with a buffer and Turtle wax or they use a compund. NO UV protectant applied. Some in this business do good with a fixed location and others are mobile. I am weighing my options and checking locations. Fixed locations are more expensive and will tie you down. Big decession. Have a great day.
pommy

Post by pommy »

Hi,

Yes, I'm doing ok - but I only have perhaps 2% of the local business so far, I just moved location in January of this year, so only a few weeks in this area.

I have a new vehicle to be signwritten in the next week or so, that will help a lot.

I get phone calls everyday from my website, which I made myself with lots of work on Google optimization for 1st page hits on most, if not all, keywords.

I'd never get a shop, too many overheads and for HLR, not viable due to the lack of customer awareness here.

Perhaps WSR, but the time it takes to repair one, the other customer will have driven off. I'm getting a pop up marquee to work under in carparks too when I can get aroud to it - just too flat out at the moment!
If the job doesn't mean more than the pay, it will never pay more.
candyman

Post by candyman »

I found I had to educate the public when I first started. I used radio, flyers, ads, Yellow pages and my web site. Now I've created competition. Once Detail shops and Fixed Glass replacement shops saw how busy I was they started doing it. Local WSR shops started doing Mobile service and advertizing. Auto body shops and detail shops did the same for HLR. Even with all this new activity a vast majority still doesnt know it can be done. You have a nice day. I have snow moving in Sunday. I have rain at the moment. We have a mild winter and it is good for my business.
jimmymaguire

Post by jimmymaguire »

Kgobin wrote: Aftermarket headlights online
2004 Pontiac Grand Prix $147.95 per set labor not included
2005 Honda Accord $146.95 per set labor not included
2006 BMW 525i $750.00 per set labor not included

Quotes from dealerships
2004 Pontiac Grand Prix $702 installed
2005 Honda Accord $685 installed
2006 BMW 525i $2,112 installed
Korey Gobin is always help with his knowledge. It's a amazing fact that we all should know. Thanks for this post. But there is most important thing about online marketing that is it genuine or not or it is with warranty our without warranty. We should go for another thing also coz if one item having this much difference then sure it's beneficial to go for another items.

Thanks Korey Gobin.
ray6
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by ray6 »

candyman wrote:It sounds like you are doing well, How do you solicit your customers? When I first started the HLR part of my business took off. Now about half of the detail shops that I worked are doing their own HLR. Most just polish with a buffer and Turtle wax or they use a compund. NO UV protectant applied. Some in this business do good with a fixed location and others are mobile. I am weighing my options and checking locations. Fixed locations are more expensive and will tie you down. Big decession. Have a great day.
Some of these dealers may come back to you when they start having customers come back with bad headlights resulting from just buff and polish.
ray6
ray6
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by ray6 »

There is a magnetic inkjet printable 13X19 paper available that you can print before and after photos of headlights along with your other info. If you don't have a large format printer, take the mag sheet to your local copy shop and have them print it for you.

Additionally, hang a card or brochure holder on the top of your rolled up window so passersby can take one with them. I have a 2000 Ddoge van with brand new looking headlights. Will try this technique next week and let you know how it goes. Have a dealer in Knoxville that claims it works well.
ray6
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

ray6 wrote:There is a magnetic inkjet printable 13X19 paper available that you can print before and after photos of headlights along with your other info. If you don't have a large format printer, take the mag sheet to your local copy shop and have them print it for you.

Additionally, hang a card or brochure holder on the top of your rolled up window so passersby can take one with them. I have a 2000 Ddoge van with brand new looking headlights. Will try this technique next week and let you know how it goes. Have a dealer in Knoxville that claims it works well.
ray6
Magnetic inkjet paper?? For what??

I like the idea of the holder on the car. Ill have to look into that.

My 2009 Camry SE has one perfect headlight and one white headlight. I use it as a demo of before and after. If biz keeps growing for me the way it has, Ill be looking ot get a company car and put the Toyo in the garage. I dont want to destroy that car. It was bought with the intent on keeping it for a while and the trunk isnt that big.
Paul Weinstein
glassyeyed

Post by glassyeyed »

you didnt give the cost of restoration
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

I estimate just shy of $5.00 per car for material.
Paul Weinstein
glassmedic209

Post by glassmedic209 »

cant forget the fuel to and from the job if you are mobile, i see alot of people say that they can charge 40 for a set becuse its only 10 in materials but they forget about the 10 or 15 in gas it cost to get to the site. just an observation.